Brown Algea

devante

I'm new to saltwater aquariums. I have a problem. I keep getting brown algea in my tank when my light is on. The guy at the fish store told me to buy a Phosphate bag, so I did and it still don't work. Can any body help me?

first off welcome to the message board
ok about your tank having brown algae thats called diatoms, right now your experiancing a diatom bloom, pretty much what this is ..
when your tank is fairly new for being set up as your tank cycles(if you dont know what that is you can use the search and type in CYCLE) your get diatoms, after your tank is finished cycling it then stops produceing diatoms, however if your tank has been set up for a while then its posible that its your water sorce
diatoms are created by 1 , feeding off silicates which is found in the water supply, 2 phosphates and 3 the lenght of how long your light was on for
itll go away in due time however if it dosent then you can always get a clean up crew(snails n hermits n stuff) to clean it for you
gl with ur tank

cchung718

You can get snails such as Trochus and Astrea for diatoms. I recently got some for my 75 gal tank(just finished cycling a week ago) and they're working very hard. Just make sure you don't have any fishes that will go after it.