Brown Live Rock

Originally Posted by WHO DEY
yes the white rock is dead rock. Can you post pics of ur setup? It would really help me out. Are you going for a reef tank or a fish only tank. Your system will be alot more stable with some live rock in there

How do I post a pic? I have some on my computer, just need to know how to get them on here.

kayak385

Originally Posted by SCsaltywater
How do I post a pic? I have some on my computer, just need to know how to get them on here.
after typing the message, scroll down to Manage Attachments and click it, a new window will pop up to allow you to add files
MAKE SURE that your filesize of your pic is less than 500x500 or it won't post. then after it has uploaded close the popup window and submit the post.

monalisa

I have a quick question too, SCSW, what do you have in the tank at this time. It will help these good people in trying to figure out what kind of bioload you've added in the 12 days of the tank. Also, what size tank are we talking about. I'll keep an eye on this thread and help where I can...you came to the right place. These peeps will help as much as possible.
Good luck.
Lisa :happyfish

Originally Posted by kayak385
after typing the message, scroll down to Manage Attachments and click it, a new window will pop up to allow you to add files
MAKE SURE that your filesize of your pic is less than 500x500 or it won't post. then after it has uploaded close the popup window and submit the post.

I tried to upload, and of course, it's too big. How do I reduce the size of it? thanks again for your assistance....!!!!!!

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
I have a quick question too, SCSW, what do you have in the tank at this time. It will help these good people in trying to figure out what kind of bioload you've added in the 12 days of the tank. Also, what size tank are we talking about. I'll keep an eye on this thread and help where I can...you came to the right place. These peeps will help as much as possible.
Good luck.
A 90 tank....too many fish due to an error on my part of overloading. I have about 20 fish, a few clams, snails, wet/dry filter (Emperor 400 and Emperor 280), heater, 2 powerheads (Aquaclear 30 and 20). No protein skimmer...should I get one?

who dey

Good luck.
thanks mona, were gonna need a few peeps on this one. and SC yes you should get a skimmer but lets get the basics out of the way. can you list ur fish. Even if that tank was cycled properly thatw about 2wice the amt of fish that tank is capable of handling

who dey

After what I did, I feel like I should be. LOL

never had tang and trigger sushi b4?

monalisa

Is there ANY chance of getting them into a more established tank for a couple of weeks (minimum) while you cycle? A friend...a LFS...reef club member?
Don't worry SC, we'll get you through this somehow.
I think I may reach 2000 posts here...yay me!!

Is there ANY chance of getting them into a more established tank for a couple of weeks (minimum) while you cycle? A friend...a LFS...reef club member?
Don't worry SC, we'll get you through this somehow.

Thanks Mona Lisa...is there anything wrong with my rock? that's my main concern along with the overstock of fish.

monalisa

From what I can see in the pics, and from what you describe, it sounds to me like normal diatoms...this is the die off seen from live rock during the cycling process of newly established tanks and in most cases dissipates spontaneously most definitely after the clean up crew goes in...do you have a clean up crew?
Hope this helps.

garnet13aj

diatoms are is a skeleton structures of an crustacean that repoduce rapily in a new tank. They're one of the steps of cycling. They are brown and will eventually cover the whole tank. I'm not sure if that's what's happening in your tank, but it's the only think I can think of. If you don't have diatoms yet, you probably will. You don't need to do anything to get rid of them, they will go away on their own.

From what I can see in the pics, and from what you describe, it sounds to me like normal diatoms...this is the die off seen from live rock during the cycling process of newly established tanks and in most cases dissipates spontaneously most definitely after the clean up crew goes in...do you have a clean up crew?
Hope this helps.
Sorry for asking this also...but what is a clean up crew?????
Thanks again for your assistance!!!!

geridoc

Brown growth on your rock is most likely diatoms. Most tanks go through a stage where these predominate. How did you make your water - with tap or DI/RO? Tap water contains silicates, which promote diatom growth. Make your future water changes with RO/DI water and the diatoms will disappear (they eventually will, either way, but RO/DI water is just better for your tank).
BTW - always, but always use RO/DI for making up for evaporation.

garnet13aj

A cleanup crew is snails, crabs, and other organisms that clean the detrius and algae off the glass, substrate, and rock.

Originally Posted by garnet13aj
A cleanup crew is snails, crabs, and other organisms that clean the detrius and algae off the glass, substrate, and rock.

Dang...more fish...
Could you please make me a list of the specific kinds I need (brand names) so I can order them???
Thank you so much!!! Kim

monalisa

Sorry for asking this also...but what is a clean up crew?????
Thanks again for your assistance!!!!
A clean up crew would consist of snails, hermit crabs, emerald crabs, anything that forages or scavenges in the tank...I take it you don't have any of those?? ***)
WHO DEY...where do we go from here??