20g tank. Reef,
20lbLS
25-30+lb LR
baby Maroon, Scooter Blenny.
Amo, trites, trates = 0
ph 8.3
temp 79.5-80.5
sg= 1.025
red branch macro, red culerpa, chaeto in DT.
I have zoas, some brown polyps, few xenia colonies and a galaxia up top near the light and away from all other corals.
To the problem. My BTA move around ALLLLLLLL the time. does the deflate thing once or twice a week but i hear thats normal.
it moves around all over, clibs all over the other corals, doesnt go near the galaxea(probably selling this one soon,) and all over the macros. Up on the glass, you name it. Free range BTA. Well I saw it on my heater and thought nothing of it, when all of the sudden i see my little rio in the corner spew out a clump of bta tentacles. I acted quickly top make sure no more were torn off. I have the BTA all in shock and curled up in the other corner now, and i couldnt get the torn tentaclesout because they fell behind some rock.
2Q's:
1) will this have any serious or longterm (non healable) affect on my BTA? If so, anything I can do?
2) will I have to do emergency water change due to toxins released by desintegrating torn tentacles?
please let me know ASAP.
Maks

scsinet

Any damage done by toxins in the water have already done their damage, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
Time will tell as to whether your anemone heals.
However, if he's always moving about the tank, that's not a good sign. That means that he cannot find conditions he likes. They will move until they are happy, in a spot with enough (but not too much flow) and enough light, and a spot that gives their foot adequate protection.
If he hasn't stopped moving, then he's not finding a spot he likes. What kind of lighting and what filtration/powerheads do you have?

emonemo

its a 20 gallon with 130pc. Im currently looking to add either an additional 50w of t5lights, or i might seeif i can do a small 100w mh.
the filtration is a penguin biowheel thats only running the water through a nitrate pad (no more bio wheel in there) and I also have a hang onback sump i built. that has a 200gph pump putting water into it and it flows back into the tank in a straight down direction in the middle of the back of the tank, with the force of about a 6-8inch drop.
I have a aquaclear 30 in one corner using a hydor rotator for the random current effect
and an aqua clear20 in the other corner throwing a diagonal rear right up corner to lower front left corner direction.
All areas have flow, since i have mushrooms, zoas, xenia and feather dusters. the duster and xenia help me guage the flow.

scsinet

Well my thought is that maybe you have too much flow.
Between your HOB, 200gph sump return, and two powerheads, you probably have more than 20x turnover. That's not necessarily bad, but anemones don't like having tons of flow. I'd say moderate would be a better term for their preference.
You may try relocating a powerhead to create a quieter side of the tank and see if he takes up residence there.
BTW, once settled and happy, BTAs will get very big... possibly too big for that tank given that they will sting to death almost anything that gets in their way. My biggest one is a good foot across when he completely opens up. I'm not saying you should remove him, but just to keep it in mind.

emonemo

yeah hes about 5 inches now. there are two spots that it actually takesfor a few days at a time before searching for greener pastures. But when its happy and fully open its like 5-7 inches.