Bubble algae

pyro

Hey guys,
I'm having issues with bubble algae in my 30g reef. Other forms of algae not so much though. All my nitrogen cycle levels are at zero. I use RO/DI water now from the lfs - really helped my massive algae problem I had for about a year. Also have a remora hanging off the back of it.
Everything looks great, execpt for bubble algae on the rocks or worse, on my overflow.
I have 2-3 emerald crabs in it (My dad thought my one died while I was at school and trying to be nice replaced it with 3), and don't think they are helping too much.
Lights are on 7 hours a day - 2 X 96W PC - bulbs are 3 months old.
Thanks for any advice =)

farslayer

Do you know what your phosphate levels are? I have bubble from time to time as well and I just twist it off and pitch it.

bambam_250r

Bubble algae spreads as the bubbles pop. You can control it by either pulling them off the rocks by hand gently or sucking them out with the tube you do the water changes with. Eventually, they'll go away. I thought Emeralds only ate the tiny bubbles when they first start out.

pyro

Well, any of the bubbles I have I can't pull out cause they are on the rocks so hard.
Also, they are inside my what0cha-ma-call-it on my overflow. The cone shaped grate thingy-ma-bob. I think I'm just going to pull it out and clean it really well and put it back in because thats where I'm noticing the problem.
Just wondering moreso along the lines of bubble algae being more prone in certain chemistries of water. I know hair algae tends to be more common in high iron for example.
The guy at the store said my PO4 was zero like always. Otherwise there isn't much algae in it minus the glass glazing over once a week or so. I have a 10g sump with macro algae growing in it to help out on that end.
Thanks - I'll keep at pulling them out.

farslayer

Not sure about chemistry issues, just never looked into it is all. 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates are great, but remember that the algae is helping to keep them at 0 by using them. Obviously, not the approach we want. Basically, just wanted to point out that 0 levels doesn't mean 0 algae, so don't beat yourself up over having great water yet still having algae. Do you run a sump/fuge?

pyro

Yeah, have a 10g sump beneith the tank that I grow macro algae in. I really am glad I put it in as it helps a lot.
Its just confusing me why the bubble algae is the only algae I am getting besides the stuff on the glass (nothing bad, it gets hazy about once every other week or so - I just run the magfloat over it)

stonepilot

I have a 100 gallon and have battled this problem for over a year and am just now on the upper hand. I have two emeralds in my tank but they are not getting the big ones they may be stopping the new growth but I have been picking them out rub with finger till loose and if they pop well I have twezzers to pull rest off rock, I havent seen to many more in the past three months. be diligent about getting off rock.

pyro

Yeah, I've been working at it for the past weeks. Still pretty tough cause a lot of them are in pockets in my rockwork.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for the help =)

pyro

Well, I have almost no bubble algae in my tank finally. I found my main problem. The cone shaped cover over my overflow (bulkhead? forget my terminology =P) was almost clogged with bubbles.
So I took that off and cleaned it out really well and put it back on. I really turned up the water turnover through the sump now too - helping the macro algae in it. No bubbles, and healthier algae.
Moral of the story: Clean out that little cone shaped overflow cover from time to time