Bubbly thick non transparent fins...

skirk

Hello and thanks for the help in advance. I have a friend with a spiny burrfish (relative to the puffer) and it's fins are thick and now you can't see through them and there bubbly. It had ick and he treated it and then this happened. Any ideas as to what it was. He put it in a hospital tank and that is when the secondary problem happened. Any ideas or treatment regimens for this? Thanks again.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How was the ick treated, and for how long did the treatment go?? I am thinking that the fish still has ick, and the parasite is burrowing in the tail area. Or, perhaps an infection due to damage done by ick.
Will need more very specific info regarding the fish's treatment.

aquaman2

i had this problem when i introduced my hippo tang to my tank and he got blister looking things on his tail, then and i soon found out it was the other fish nipping at him. Now they get along.

skirk

He was put in a hospital tank and the salinity was dropped to about 1.05 (I think) along with use of Nox-Ick. I know that is not the primary med of choice for treating ick but some people you cant tell anything. Nox-Ick is the green staining stuff. I believe it has Malachite Green in it when I looked at the active ingredient. Along with Sodium Chloride. It says safe for salt and freshwater tx. I used it myself a few years ago on a freshwater tank and it was pretty potent stuff that worked quick then.

skirk

Thanks, but doesn't it just need to be below like 1.07? Someone suggested taking it to 1.00 at the LFS but I thought that was low. I know his was set below 1.07, is that number insignificant or not?

skirk

My mistake. I was talking about 1.007 for salinity. I didn't know 1.026 was the natural seawater level. I thought it was 1.021 since that is what tanks are set to (in general). Thanks for your replies. So basically, are you suggesting it could be ich related even though the fish doesn't have ich s/s (signs and symptoms)?

skirk

Thanks for the info. It originally looked terrible but not is pretty much all healed up by itself. You can hardly tell that for the last 2 weeks he looked terrible. My friend just put him back in the main tank and it never spread to the other fish and he eventually got better and is eating again.