Budget DIY LED

jmbr0828

Hey all, its been a while since I have realy gotten into my 55g FOWLR tank.
I had my tank crack on me, and I am re-doing everything, I would like to start a reef tank. I just ordered a new RO-DI filter with a plastic ATO float, and I am in the process of getting everything else on my layout. figured out.
I am not sure what types of corals I will be keeping, but will be seeking advise on the forum.
I've been reading a lot on here about DIY LED, and decided to give it a shot. So I started calling around and getting prices, and so far here's the costs.
20 3w cool white LEDs
20 3w warm white LEDs
20 3w royal blue LEDs, got some extras for spares. $116 shipped
3 14 led contollers $114 shipped
Aluminum, and steel for housing $40
Fans $20
Potentiometers $6
I have a bunch of wire at work, so i'll not count that in my cost.
So I am looking at a total cost of around $300 for a pretty good sized, dimmable fixture.
I found a really good source for LEDs at wholesale cost at www.satisled.com
and my drivers from www.rapidled.com very good prices at both places, but the LEDs are cheaper out of hong kong.
I will be doing 42 3w LEDs in warm white, cool white and royal blue.
Here's my layout idea:
Here's a view from the side:

I am thinking of using the fixture to house all of the wiring, controllers, ect. and will have a push-pull fan system to keep the inside cool.
I already have the fixture made, the LED mount surface is 1/8 in thick aluminum, and the housing is 26g steel.and all of the other parts are ordered.
My questions are.
How's my blue to white ratio?
How's spacing?
Any other overlooked problems that I may have missed.
I am open to any comments good or bad.
I will be posting pics after I get the housing painted.
Thank you for all your help.

nikesb

spacings fine from your design
as for the blue to whtie ratio, i lke to do 2:1, buts thats my preference. yours are dimmable so you should be fine controlling the tone you want.
i also like to put in the idea of putting in red leds to help with the spectrum, but i think you should be fine

monsinour

I would hope that those 3w LEDs are Cree and not some knock offs out of china or japan.
Other than that, might want to take out a few of the warm whites and mix in a few greens and reds. Need to have the attempt at the full sprectrum.

jmbr0828

they are some knock offs, but from what i've read they have the same output and wavelength as the cree ones do. i was also planning on replacing them with some cree led as I see fit. as far as other colors, how many and of which colors?

jmbr0828

Alright! I finally got it all put together, along with the ro/di and ato. Here's a few pics. This is a shot with my 250wMH and coralife PCs

jmbr0828

Here's what it looks like with the LED fixture on it. The shimmer is amazing, but the color almost looks pink when they are all turned up. I'll be switching to some cree bulbs as budget allows.

jmbr0828

I apologise about the crappy pix, my camera was stolen, so I have to use my cell phone. I just adjusted the moonlighting

jmbr0828

Hey all, Its been a couple of months now, and I thought I would share some pics of the tank. Everything is doing really well, and my mushrooms, colt coral and zoos are starting to frag themselfs. Here are a few pics