Bulbs for 8 bulb t5 unit help

runn3rb3an

so i know ive been asking everyone about different lighting combos but i finally went to go get a fixture at my lfs and hes said he could get me an used 8 bulb lighting fixture for like 200 bucks. I'll find out if he actually comes through with it on sunday but i was going to switch all of the bulbs out for new ones, regardless of how old the others are.
my tank is 48x24x8
i know ati blue and superblues are good and kz fiji purples but are there any other bulbs you would recommened and how many of each?
the tank is only 8 inches tall which is my other problem, i dont want to make these corals set on underwater firefrom the fixture being right on them so how high from the water level should the tank be??
thanks everyone!

nikesb

8 bulb combo for that high of a tank would be
blue+
aquablue special
kz superblue
ati true actinic
blue+
kz fiji purple
kz superblue
ati true actinic
as for how high, it will depend on the fixture u get. i highly doubt it would be something like a ati fixture, but even then, youd prolly want to put the fixture no lower than 11 inches from the water. what corals are you trying to keep? if its a frag tank, i would suggest a 36" fixture and then keep lps and zoas on the side. and sps in the middle

runn3rb3an

I would agree with that but the only thing is that 36 fixture will probably cost very close to 200. I mean if I get this I can always use it for something else and would definitely have enough light for any future tanks. Like I said I was going in to buy a 4 bulb unit maybe another glo and and he offered me this which is a lot cheaper than everything else and a lot nicer so I mean why pay more for less?
If I was not getting it however I would agree with what you said.
Well I guess I'm kind of limited to sps now huh? I would like to keep some acans and lps too but I think this might be too much light.

nikesb

it really depends on the type of fixture you're talking about. are they individual reflectors?

J

jeffalight

The cheapest place of good quality t5 bulbs is soslightbulbs Dot Com.

nikesb

whats with your posts, you keep talking about place even in other forums. as for good quality, they dont carry anything that even compares to ati or kz.