Buying new lighting.

tcarlisle

120 Gal. Looking to get LED lights. I have been reading on which lights are "best" and the reviews are so mixed that i am not sure as to which is best for my situation. I will have all different types of corals eventually, so i want which ever light will work for many situations. I am currently leaning towards the Orbit Marine LED. One of their largest fixtures would not be enough light though. Any recommendations? Tips or tricks?

jay0705

Iam in the same boat lol the fluval and marine land are a bit high priced for what u get. The biggest thing u want to look for is light out put. Lumes I belive

tcarlisle

Yeah, i am trying to figure out what my "required" output is for my tank. If i go for 2 watts per gallon its 240 watts. I don't know if thats enough though. Check these out. http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine/

jay0705

They sound pretty good. Could u find any reviews on them? The sw industry now seems to be going to leds, there low energy use and ease of use being a big reason. I would say for soft corals u def would be ok. But iam not a coral expert by any means lol

tcarlisle

Yeah. I have read a lot of reviews. Most are awesome. Two that I read were really displeased with the lighting with regards to penetrating the full depth of their tank. I want to go with LEDS for sure. Its all about getting the right light for whats in your tank, and all for the right price. Im still learning about all the corals and fish so thanks for the heads up on the lights being good for soft corals.

jay0705

Np. Iam a fowlr mostly guy. Buy if I spend the money I wanted lights I could do corals w if I go that way later. The marine land reef leds work for softies and the orbits seem to have more light out put than those.