calling all tang police

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2614779
I guess I had a long day and had a question I wasnt real happy when the very first post was someone there calling me stupid
Pardon me, calling you stupid? I don't know where you read that . I guess I should have been a jerk and not even try to be polite. I did after all use PLEASE. Oh well

M

markeo99

sorry to anyone whom Ive offended I didnt know tang police could get me in so much trouble

T

tizzo

Haha, I didn't feel any tension either.
If somebody says something rude, they should expect to be called on it. They should expect, with so many members, that somebody is gonna ask for or search for some sort of accountability.
That's any thread... any inappropriate comment.
If you are rude, you'll get called on it. No tension.
But it's all good. We all have our "days", lol. I think I've had a few myself.

groupergenius

OK. I'll be the jerk.

Don't start a thread with "tang police" in the title. Just makes you sound like your trying to start some detritus. Simply ask a question. Very simple.
Everybody has different success with the same critters in their tanks. But we also have gone through the mistakes. So when posters on this, or any other SW board, post their "bad" experiences with keeping livestock. It should be heard.
By the same token, posters who just spout some detritus they have heard with no "hands on" experience, should let the folks who have been there, done that reply. Might take a bit longer to get a reply, but IMHO worth it.

guille

Had a customer come in today with a hippo, sailfin, & a foxface they are several years old and have outgrown the 90 they were in. All 3 came in this morning and all 3 ate this afternoon. Tomorrow I'm going to move all thre to a 312 gallon. There is already a powder brown in there. I'm going to empty our live rock tanks and move all of the rock and then add a bunch. Hoping to ease the fish in hoping for the best. I have one other 312 but there is an Achilies (sp) in there. Had him for 4 months now don't want to stress him to. It was hard enough getting him to eat in the first place. Rather put socks on a bobcat in a phone booth than do that again.

T

tizzo

Socks on a bobcat in a phonebooth?? LOL!! Never heard that one.
Well kudos to the guy who brought them in huh?
When I had my 90 up nd running, the hubby wanted a sailfin. The LFS guy told him he wouldn't get much bigger than he was (4 inches), so I grabbed the nearest book. It said 15 inches, and when I asked the guy about it, he had the nerve to tell me... "don't research that kinda stuff, the information is way to contradicting. Heck I could get on the net and find a royal gramma ID'ed as a blue tang. Trial and error"

Never did go back there.

guille

I don't know how many times in a week ppl say, " the size of the tank will control the size of the fish write?" I say " that means that you will get bigger than me if you grow up in a bigger house write??" urban myths die hard

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2617398
Socks on a bobcat in a phonebooth?? LOL!! Never heard that one.
Well kudos to the guy who brought them in huh?
When I had my 90 up nd running, the hubby wanted a sailfin. The LFS guy told him he wouldn't get much bigger than he was (4 inches), so I grabbed the nearest book. It said 15 inches, and when I asked the guy about it, he had the nerve to tell me... "don't research that kinda stuff, the information is way to contradicting. Heck I could get on the net and find a royal gramma ID'ed as a blue tang. Trial and error"

Never did go back there.
That is awesome! And everything that is wrong with some lfs's.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Guille
http:///forum/post/2617403
I don't know how many times in a week ppl say, " the size of the tank will control the size of the fish write?" I say " that means that you will get bigger than me if you grow up in a bigger house write??" urban myths die hard
I think that's true for freshwater. But saltwater will outgrow and die. I dont think I could work in a lfs, I'd try to rearrange the whole city!
I went to a lfs in my area and felt like the guy from hells kitchen trying to fix the place. Anyway while I was testing their water a customer asks the owner..."I have a 12g nano and I wanna get that small purple fish" up to this point I tried to ignore the customers but when he said this I looked up from my little chemistry lab and told the guy "ok, your not allowed to purchase anything you dont know the name of! Go home find out what its called, find out what it needs and find out how it'll do in a 12 g tank"
He took the advice but his expression told me that he had never even considered research before.
LOL he's prolly reading this as I gave him this sight as a place to ask questions!
std, I dont know where these lfs get their advice. The owner of the mentioned lfs argues with me that "everything I've READ and heard says that bristleworms are bad"
liar! He couldn't find one article that says that. But to defend his methods he makes comments like that. Ugh, dont get me started!

groupergenius

http:///forum/post/2617607
I think that's true for freshwater. But saltwater will outgrow and die. I dont think I could work in a lfs, I'd try to rearrange the whole city!
I went to a lfs in my area and felt like the guy from hells kitchen trying to fix the place. Anyway while I was testing their water a customer asks the owner..."I have a 12g nano and I wanna get that small purple fish" up to this point I tried to ignore the customers but when he said this I looked up from my little chemistry lab and told the guy "ok, your not allowed to purchase anything you dont know the name of! Go home find out what its called, find out what it needs and find out how it'll do in a 12 g tank"
He took the advice but his expression told me that he had never even considered research before.
LOL he's prolly reading this as I gave him this sight as a place to ask questions!
std, I dont know where these lfs get their advice. The owner of the mentioned lfs argues with me that "everything I've READ and heard says that bristleworms are bad"
liar! He couldn't find one article that says that. But to defend his methods he makes comments like that. Ugh, dont get me started!
I can see you saying that.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2617607
you're testing their water?
I'll have to start calling you gordon fishsey.

T

tizzo

Well, the owner is a nice guy with good intentions and I like him, so I was gonna make it my job to fix them. They do birds, reptiles and fish. They may know their stuff with the other 2, but as far as fish they leave a lot to be desired.
Their are 4 owners. 2 brothers, a mom and a wife. I have pointed out something eac of them are doing wrong. 3 took the advice and changed, one, the wife got so offended she won't even look at me.

Something about me telling her she had brown jelly on one of the corals, and she didn't care.
She got mad that I brought it up in their "list of things they are doing wrong".
Between that and the bristleworm argument, IDK if I'm gonna keep trying to help them. It was after all, FREE!

Yeah, I tested their water. My first test was their "RO"... 100+ TDS.
In Florida that's bad. Nitrates well over 100 in every tank and a sg of... OMG this hurts to write 1.018 in the coral/invert tank!!
I could go on and on...

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2617718
Well, the owner is a nice guy with good intentions and I like him, so I was gonna make it my job to fix them. They do birds, reptiles and fish. They may know their stuff with the other 2, but as far as fish they leave a lot to be desired.
Their are 4 owners. 2 brothers, a mom and a wife. I have pointed out something eac of them are doing wrong. 3 took the advice and changed, one, the wife got so offended she won't even look at me.

Something about me telling her she had brown jelly on one of the corals, and she didn't care.
She got mad that I brought it up in their "list of things they are doing wrong".
Between that and the bristleworm argument, IDK if I'm gonna keep trying to help them. It was after all, FREE!

In Florida that's bad. Nitrates well over 100 in every tank and a sg of... OMG this hurts to write 1.018 in the coral/invert tank!!
I could go on and on...

I'll bet woman are more hard headed then men.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2617718

I could go on and on...

I'll bet woman are more hard headed then men.