can a scallop eat frozen brine shrimp

silverado61

Everything I've read say's they feed on micro-plankton, phytoplankton or marine snow. They're filter feeders. I would say that frozen brine would be too big to feed them. And each scallop needs to be target fed.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg01 http:///t/397119/can-a-scallop-eat-frozen-brine-shrimp#post_3538580
i want to get a scallop but i wanna know if it will eat frozen brine or something non expensive

Hi,

Silverado is correct on what it eats.

Here's the problem, you can't keep your tank polluted enough, long enough to keep one alive. I read that If you remove it from the tank each night, and let it sit in a bucket loaded with phytoplankton and return it each day to the display...it can survive. The one I had, I spot fed, it lasted 4 months but still starved, just slower.

They are a critter best left in the ocean.

bang guy

What species of Scallop? Although none can eat anything as large a brine shrimp, there are a few species that can be successfully kept. But you must know what species to know what it needs.

bang guy

Ah, OK. Those actually are not Scallops surprisingly. They are a type of File Clam. Very difficult to feed. It will need a deep cave out of the light with a steady current flowing through to bring food. Very fine food, I don't recall the measurements but you should be able to look it up. Something like 100 - 140 microns (guessing from memory so could be way off).

zoidberg01

Y aquascape provides all of that all I have to do is search for the food any reccomendations for a electric scallop

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg01 http:///t/397119/can-a-scallop-eat-frozen-brine-shrimp#post_3538725
Y aquascape provides all of that all I have to do is search for the food any reccomendations for a electric scallop

Hi,

A soup of Kent's marine invert food...An "electric" scallop is the same red flame scallop I was talking about, your aquascape is what will block the food from getting to it in the amount it needs to survive.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/397119/can-a-scallop-eat-frozen-brine-shrimp#post_3538723
Ah, OK. Those actually are not Scallops surprisingly. They are a type of File Clam. Very difficult to feed. It will need a deep cave out of the light with a steady current flowing through to bring food. Very fine food, I don't recall the measurements but you should be able to look it up. Something like 100 - 140 microns (guessing from memory so could be way off).
IIRC from my clam-keeping days, optimum food size for Tridacnids is about 80 um, so you're about on the mark there.

S

saxman

Clams feed by filtering water thru their gill structures and sifting out the edible particles. Think of the gills as a sieve with a given "mesh size", so for instance, if the mesh has 80 micron holes in it, anything over this size will become "caught" in the gills and consumed, while smaller particles will pass thru the gills and out the clam's excurrent siphon. Different critters are different sizes, so there's a "size range" that the clam in question is able to consume.