Can I have soft corals? This is my tank.

agent707

Tank:
75G (no overflow)
Light: 216w Nova Extreme T5 (10k+actinics)
Flow: ~900GPH
LR: 75lbs
Fluval 404 canister filter (included in the flow above).
3" Live sand.
Fish:
1 Yellow tang
2 perc clowns
4 blue/green chromis
1 Coral Beauty dwarf angel
2 mex turbos
2 blue legged hermits
1 red leg hermit
That's it.
I have no intension of adding more fish.
I intend to add a bubble anemone
My question is can I add a "few" soft corals without any problem for them...
OR... will I "NEED" to add a hang on protein skimmer in order to have some corals? If so, any recommendations of a hang on PS?
Thanks

rbaldino

Lighting wise it shouldn't be a problem. Corals are much more sensitive about water quality than fish, though, so a skimmer would be a good idea, and if you can afford it there's really no reason not to have one. I would recommend the AquaC Remora Pro for a tank your size.

krazekajin

A skimmer is a very good investment, unless you are faithful to major waterchanges every week. with the lights that you have, you can pretty much keep anything you want from softies to sps (providing that you have awesome current). You really won't be limited. Any soft coral and any LPS will do great.

krazekajin

I also think you need lots more clean up crew. I think you could easily have 30 or more hermits and several more snails.

agent707

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
I also think you need lots more clean up crew. I think you could easily have 30 or more hermits and several more snails.
I have wondered about my cleanup crew... You serious though? That many hermits? Is there really that much "stuff" in my tank for them to survive on?
What exactly do they eat anyway?
As stated regarding the skimmer... "if I can afford one". Yea, I can. So, I guess I will get one then. And no, I am not religious about water changes weekely. I do them on a monthly basis. I change out about 25 gallons once a month. Tank does pretty good on that.
I'm interested more in hearing about Cleanup crew. I am afraid if I put "too much" in my tank, they will starve... :notsure:
Thanks for the replies.

catawaba

More hermits---they eat detritus and hair algae, etc. Very busy little guys!
I'd get a leather of some sort, and maybe some less demanding mushrooms/polyps.
ENJOY

puffer32

You can keep all softies and lps and even some sps. I had the exact lighting, but 8 bulbs over my 150 DT and even had an anenome and clam under it.

emmitt2

Originally Posted by Catawaba
More hermits---they eat detritus and hair algae, etc. Very busy little guys!
I'd get a leather of some sort, and maybe some less demanding mushrooms/polyps.
ENJOY
Hermits won't eat detritus, they will eat most types of algae they can find. If you dont have enough for them to eat, they will probably eat your snails if they can and then starve unless you feed them.
You definitely should have room to add some in a tank that size though if you want.