can i turn my sump into a refugeum?

opazen

ive got a fifty gallon sump and was wondering what it would take to grow some caulurpa or make it into a refugeum... im not entirely sure what one is but id like to get the most use out of that huge sump...
pardon my ingnorance
thank you

david s

there are alot of things you can do with a 50 gal sump and alot of diffrent ways of doing it if it was me I would get some plexi glass 2 1 inch bulkhead fittings and some 100% silicone. make a baffle in the sump with 2 1 inch holes about 2 inches from the top, install bulkhead fittings then plumb a small powerhead in one bulkhead and plumb the other bulkhead to overflow to other side of sump
ps with a fuge you do not want alot of water flow

smalltimer

THEN you don't have a fuge, just a sump, you need to make an area above the sump, then plumb a small power head in the sump to push h2o into the fuge, and let that drain back into your sump.

killyah

Originally posted by opazen
can you grow calurpa in a sump?

yes you can grow calurpa as long as u have good lighting, and a way to block the return pump from sucking up the calurpa ,you can also add some weight on the plant so it dont go nowhere it will work even with a high flow ,if ur plan is just to grow calurpa .
how ever if your ganna set up a refugeum ,which i like better (nitrate remover) you can do this a number of ways!, but the flow will have to be way slower. here is my site see if it gives u sum ideas. http://community.webshots.com/user/killyah
HTH