can someone explain the difference....daylight / actinic?

oneflysi

just need some help so i know what lighting to go with. currently all i have in my tank is LR, but want to add inverts/corals here shortly. i have a 110watt 10000K PC in my tank. but i am building a custom canopy/hood and want to add a couple 36"+ VHO's. my question is, should i add one daylight and one actinic or 2 actinic, or what? remember i already will have the 110w PC. what is the difference between the daylight and actinic? if i made both actinic would that be more light than one of each? any help is appreciated. thanks!!
-One

predator

I have six 3ft vho's on my tank now. 4 or actnic and two or day light. And my tank is still pretty white. I love the way the actnics bring out the color in everything. I would go with all actnic vho's and the daylight pc.

msb27

You could try this place.
<a href="http://www.hellolights.com/" target="_blank">www.hellolights.com/</a>
Scott

k.lee

Actinics or 03's have a spectral intensity commensurate with A WAVELENGTH OF 440 nanometers, if I recall correctly (IIRC). That wavelength in the blue visible light spectrum, and where algae, and plants tend to phothosynthesize best.
For corals, and other invertebrates with symbiotic algae/zooxanthellae, you need full spectrum lighting as well, however, I'd guess.
Most reef enthusiasts recommend a 1 to 1 actinic to full spectrum bulb, or MH with an actinic 03 bulb or two.
Lee

k.lee

Oh, and BTW, Ac03 bulbs were originally used in hospital maternity to kill billirubin IIRC.

oneflysi

wow, great information...thank you!
the look of the tank is important to me also, and i would prefer the "blueish" look over a "whiter" look....but am more interested in what lights will keep my corals and inverts alive and growing strong. also would like light to help my coralline grow and spread. which is better for coralline....daylight or actinic?
once again, thanks for the help!
-One