Can Someone Id This Weird Thing On My Lr?

nigerbang

hahaha i actually do know what that is. I had some in my tank, my guess is that it is a non-photosythetic stoney coral. Mine looks just like that and thats what I ID'ed it as i think i got the pic from floridaliverock.net.....not sure though. I am 98% sure thats what it is

chosen1608

I have the same things on my LR. Don't know what they are, but they have clear tentacles and see to be growing despite not feeding anything. I'd like to know what they are also.

ophiura

I have no doubt whatsoever that it is a coral. No doubt. Whether alive or not is another question, but due to the brownish color, I would right now think it might be...but you'll have to watch for tentacles at some point.

philgmiami

Originally Posted by ophiura
I have no doubt whatsoever that it is a coral. No doubt. Whether alive or not is another question, but due to the brownish color, I would right now think it might be...but you'll have to watch for tentacles at some point.
yes its florida live rock (worm colony)..its gotn bigger since ive switched from instant ocean to tropic marin :thinking: .. is that possible :notsure:

whitey_028

yes i got it on my live rock too they are harmless filter feeders except watch for tentacles they will sting other coral nearbye it. But they dont move and spread like aptasia does thats why i said it was harmelss. Just look at night to see if the clear tentacles come out to see if its alive.

nigerbang

its some-sort of stony coral that live on mostly flordia deco LR. It is non-photo, so it help to try and offer it some finally minced food....def what it is though, i searched and searched...{Edit link} has a good pic of one that is opened

ophiura

Could be Cladocora arbuscula or similar. Such corals are not uncommon on Florida rock
(sorry, had to edit out the link....)

nigerbang

thats cool....forgot about that. That what I was told after hours of searching that it is pretty common on FL LR, which is about all I can get around here unless I order it...which I have to order about another 220 lbs....not looking forward to that

philgmiami

Originally Posted by NigerBang
its some-sort of stony coral that live on mostly flordia deco LR. It is non-photo, so it help to try and offer it some finally minced food....def what it is though, i searched and searched...{Edit link} has a good pic of one that is opened
can you please email me that link?.. thank you

mikeyjer

I have some in my tank as well, it was given to me from a reefer friend. I actually think it's kinda kewl. Their tentacles sticks out all the time and it looks neat, to me anyway....Some folks think it's boring... :happyfish

nigerbang

Originally Posted by philgmiami
can you please email me that link?.. thank you

sure it wont let me email you though..