Can You Help Me Identify This Coral?

debdeb

The LFS told me he thought this was a type of blastomussa, but I haven't seen any pictures that looked like my coral. Right now I think it's not very happy because it hasn't expanded much lately. My alk & kh are both a bit low so that may be the problem. I've bought a different buffer and hope to bring them both up slowly. Oh, and notice the yellow sponge (?) on the left side of the lower stalk. It seems to be spreading all over the skeleton, would this hurt it? Does anyone recognize this coral?

L

lbaskball

i think they are candycane corals....and in the background..its mushrooms.

debdeb

Here's a shot (pretty blurry, sorry) of this coral uninflated. Lately, it's been staying like this. You can see more of the yellow sponge material.

rykna

Originally Posted by lbaskball
i think they are candycane corals....and in the background..its mushrooms.
I second this vote

hemicj

i belive its candy cane,somtimes called trumpet. its in same group as calestera corals. It also looks like may be dying off.

debdeb

The yellow is sponge. I'm running over 200 watts of pc's on that 37 gallon tank. It's sits almost to the top of the tallest rock. I hope it's not dying but I have guessed that it may be. I've only had it about 3 months.

dogstar

Try to peel the sponge off of the flesh.....really no other choice at this time I guess. I have a black sponge the attacks my Hammer and I peel it off. Be carefull not to damage the coral flesh.

debdeb

I have 2 300 gph power heads running plus my Eheim 227 pushes around 200 I think. I don't have that coral under direct flow but maybe that would help. My flower pot is taking a direct hit after I moved it up and it doesn't like that at all. Guess I need to do some rearranging. All of the suggestions were good, I can expose it for a few seconds while rearranging, move it down and closer to a stronger flow. Let's hope that helps. Thanks!

wellsi

Originally Posted by hemicj
i belive its candy cane,somtimes called trumpet. its in same group as calestera corals. It also looks like may be dying off.
My thoughts exactly. How much did you pay for this? There is a pretty big diff. in price from a candy to a blasto.

debdeb

I actually got it for free when I bought some other corals at my favorite lfs. If you buy 3 you get one free. I sure didn't realize I needed to target feed that coral so maybe it is starving. Man do I feel awful. I'll make sure to try and feed it tonight when I get home. I feed the whole tank a mixture that varies. It usually includes at least 3 of the following:
frozen mysis shrimp
frozen Formula One
frozen chopped shrimp
frozen Emerald Entree
Formula One flakes
Formula Two flakes
PhytoPlan
Cyclopeeze (this is mixed in every time)
Sweetwater Zooplankton
Garlic Guard
Here's my coral list (my tank is about 8 months old):
the trumpet/candy cane coral in the pix
huge finger leather (sinularia flexiblis type)
green star polyps
Elegance (I know, classic Newbie no no)
Flowerpot (I know, another classic Newbie mistake)
colt coral
small Xenia
assorted shrooms & ricordia
I think the Flowerpot is struggling. I've moved it down in the tank since I think it was getting too much light and water flow. Since I moved it, it hasn't expanded it's polyps (5 days ago), I've also noticed a couple areas on it that have lost polyps. I'll try target feeding it too, I'm not sure what else to do.
The Elegance is eating and growing so I am optimistic. I know now that they can last even a year and then die.
Since I made the mistake of buying these corals without doing my homework, I'm determined to do what it takes to keep them healthy. I've read quite a bit and will keep reading to learn what I need to do.
Anyway, I apologize for this post getting so long. I'm learning as much as I can and I know all of my softies are growing like mad so I must be doing something right, I just wasn't ready for the hard corals and of all things to get, two of the hardest to keep. Lesson learned.