Cancun was nice, but...

bionicarm

Had a great time in Cancun. There were some nice reefs right off the hotel beach that I could snorkel on every day. Nothing better than an all-inclusive. The ONLY problem I had on the trip were these obnoxious high school kids from Canada. We get to the hotel around 9PM, walk into the lobby, and start hearing this horrible rendition of O! Canada. Look over to the lobby bar, and we see this hoard of people wearing outlandish costumes and using Canadian flags as capes. Looked again, and realized it was a bunch of kids (literally). Asked the woman at the desk, and it seems there were 300 kids from some high school in Canada celebrating their graduation staying at our hotel. These kids claimed to be 18 (legal drinking age in Mexico), but I heard several of them say they were only 16 and 17. They'd stay up until 3am or later screaming and yelling down the halls. The pool area was nice until around Noon, when they'd come crawling out of their rooms and take over the swim-up bar. I never had a problem getting a drink, but you'd go to a bar and hear some kid say "8 Kamakazi's, 5 Scooby Doo's, 4 $ex On The Beach, and 3 Margaritas" This one kid would drink half of them before turning around and handing the rest to his underage friends. They would then disappear around 7pm (when the pool closed), then showed up again at the lobby bar around 9 or 10 to start all over again. I actually saw one woman who claimed to be a chaperone admonishing a couple of kids for making noise down one of the hallways, but that was the only one I saw. I felt sorry for the families that had young kids at the hotel, because all you heard coming out of their mouths was the F-Bomb every other word. No one dared confront them, since you don't know what would happen with 10 or 15 wasted kids retaliating. Complaining to the hotel was useless. They'd just smile, apologize, and say they will speak to the individuals causing the problems. The hotel complex was huge, and we ended up going over to one of the other hotels we had access to. It was more family oriented, and there weren't as many teens over there drinking. Just be aware if you go down to Mexico resorts like Cancun, you may run into issues like this. We've been down there four times now, and this was the first time we came across this during the summer. This is why I'd NEVER go to Cancun during Spring Break.

meowzer

LOL...well glad to hear you had almost a perfect time.....I would also never book anything for spring break either

btldreef

What hotel were you at? Where I stayed, snorkeling was great for seeing fish but I didn't seen ANY corals.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386570/cancun-was-nice-but#post_3396203
What hotel were you at? Where I stayed, snorkeling was great for seeing fish but I didn't seen ANY corals.
Barcelo Mayan Beach and Caribe. It's halfway between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. It's a 1 1/2 hour ride by bus or taxi from the Cancun airport. I'll definitely go back, but will stay at their Colonial property. It's a few hundred more, but the restaurants and buffets are much nicer. I'd also say their beds are the best I've ever slept in Cancun. You had to swim out a couple hundred yards to hit the reefs, but they were out there. I even found a moray in one group of corals. I took some chicken parts from the buffet out here one day to coax him out, and I got him to at least show his face. I'd push the chicken down by his lair, and he'd grab it and go back inside. Didn't want to take a chance of trying to actually 'feed' him. Also saw a 5 foot King floating under the pier. Thought it was a barracuda at first. He actually followed my daughter and me out by the breakers. Think he smelled the chicken I was carrying.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/386570/cancun-was-nice-but#post_3396222
Barcelo Mayan Beach and Caribe. It's halfway between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. It's a 1 1/2 hour ride by bus or taxi from the Cancun airport. I'll definitely go back, but will stay at their Colonial property. It's a few hundred more, but the restaurants and buffets are much nicer. I'd also say their beds are the best I've ever slept in Cancun. You had to swim out a couple hundred yards to hit the reefs, but they were out there. I even found a moray in one group of corals. I took some chicken parts from the buffet out here one day to coax him out, and I got him to at least show his face. I'd push the chicken down by his lair, and he'd grab it and go back inside. Didn't want to take a chance of trying to actually 'feed' him. Also saw a 5 foot King floating under the pier. Thought it was a barracuda at first. He actually followed my daughter and me out by the breakers. Think he smelled the chicken I was carrying.
Nice! Sounds like you had a great trip (minus the annoying HS kids).
My favorite place, especially for diving/snorkeling is still Turks And Caicos

darthtang aw

So the guy that cut valve stems on tires for bad driving or parking wouldn,t confront some high school punks?
Darth (maybe if mexico was a dry state) Tang

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/386570/cancun-was-nice-but#post_3396288
So the guy that cut valve stems on tires for bad driving or parking wouldn,t confront some high school punks?
Darth (maybe if mexico was a dry state) Tang
And I suppose you would? Yeaaaa. I'm sure you'd confront 20 or 30 drunk teenagers in another country. When pigs fly....
Bionic (Mr. Darth "All talk no action" Tang talking out his rear again) Arm

darthtang aw

And I suppose you would?  Yeaaaa.  I'm sure you'd confront 20 or 30 drunk teenagers in another country.  When pigs fly....

Bionic (Mr. Darth "All talk no action" Tang talking out his rear again) Arm

If it bothered me enough, sure I would. What are they gonna do, pound me down for talking to them? Seriously?
Darth (not scared of his own shadow) Tang

darthtang aw

[=http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&client=ms-android-verizon&gl=us&source=mog&aq=&oq=&aqi=&fkt=&fsdt=&cqt=&rst=&htf=&his=&maction=&q=when+pigs+fly#i=0][/]
Darth (just saying) Tang

mantisman51

Glad you had a good vaca. When I was in Puerto Rico I was lucky enough to have a reef right out the back door. It's been a few years, I need to go again. Did you get any pictures? It'd be cool to see the area.

darthtang aw

Let's not take this to a bad place, please

Nobody likes me when I go there.
Darth (should of went left at albuquerque) Tang

stdreb27

Hey next time, remember, they do have Adult only resorts, no teenagers, kids... And not one of those "Adult" resorts...

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///forum/thread/386570/cancun-was-nice-but#post_3396327
Hey next time, remember, they do have Adult only resorts, no teenagers, kids... And not one of those "Adult" resorts...
Actually, there is a part of this Barcelo complex called The Palace that is Adults Only. Unfortunately, it costs about $1000 more to stay there. The kids were obnoxious but civil to a degree. They didn't intimidate any of the other guest that I saw. Just made it annoying with their yelling at all times of the night, and the constant cursing coming from their mouths. I expect none of their parents had an idea how out of control or unsupervised their children would be while on this vacation. When you have chaperones taking your kids on a trip, you'd expect them to be adults and make kids behave as if they were with their parents. I did hear a couple of groups say that they needed to start keeping a low profile. Apparently, a couple of kids were shiped back home before their trip ended.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/386570/cancun-was-nice-but#post_3396315
If it bothered me enough, sure I would. What are they gonna do, pound me down for talking to them? Seriously?
Darth (not scared of his own shadow) Tang
You didn't see how wasted some of these kids were. I never saw any security or Federales on the property. If a brawl did ensue, not sure who would hae intervened. I sure wouldn't want to find out. If you were part of the conflict, and they did call the police in, I guarantee you that you'd be hauled down to jail just like them. Mexican police don't screw around. I've seen that first hand while visiting the Texas border towns.

darthtang aw

You didn't see how wasted some of these kids were.  I never saw any security or Federales on the property.  If a brawl did ensue, not sure who would hae intervened.  I sure wouldn't want to find out.  If you were part of the conflict, and they did call the police in, I guarantee you that you'd be hauled down to jail just like them.  Mexican police don't screw around.  I've seen that first hand while visiting the Texas border towns.

True,....but if it is still anything like when I last went down to cancun could have bought our way out. Got stopped by the polkce down there. To avoid going to jail he asked us to sell him our leather usa jacket. He gave us a hundred bucks for it....think I only paid a little more than that for it. Cancun culture is dif than bordertowns. Cancun knows their bread and butter comes from us dumb american tourists. Where as the bordertowns bread is buttered by the drug cartels. The mentallity is totally different.
Did you get into the actual city or mainly stay on the main tourist strip?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/386570/cancun-was-nice-but#post_3396429
True,....but if it is still anything like when I last went down to cancun could have bought our way out. Got stopped by the polkce down there. To avoid going to jail he asked us to sell him our leather usa jacket. He gave us a hundred bucks for it....think I only paid a little more than that for it. Cancun culture is dif than bordertowns. Cancun knows their bread and butter comes from us dumb american tourists. Where as the bordertowns bread is buttered by the drug cartels. The mentallity is totally different.
Did you get into the actual city or mainly stay on the main tourist strip?
I never go near the actual city of Cancun. All that's there is one open bar after another, where thousands of teenagers go to get plastered. Once we hit the Barcelo property, we never left. It had eerything we needed - food, drinks, activities, excursions right on-site, etc. We thought about going into Playa Del Carmen to shop, but it was $50 taxi fare round-trip. Barcelo had their own little 'mercado' right on-site, and the prices for shirts and stuff wasn't that bad. You couldn't barter the prices, but my daughter paid $20 for three t-shirts. We could've probably got them for $12 - $15 in town, but adding the cab fare, we got the one's on-site cheaper.