Caulerpa question!

flydan

Hey,
I have a 55gal reef tank with dsb and eventually 100lbs of LR.
How many types of caulerpa are there? I picked up a couple small pieces of LR with caulerpa attached. One type has leaves that look like freshwater corkscrew val., another looks more like a fern. Yet another has thicker stems with light green bubble looking leaves. Are all these caulerpa?
Second question: Is there such a thing as too much caulerpa? Besides crowding out other things...
I've set up some bigger caves in the base rock and have caulerpa growing in front of a couple of them. Looks kinda cool. :cool: If I was a fishy I'd like to hang out there! :D
Thanks all,
Dan'l :D

dugan

I don't know the answer to your question but would love to see a pic of your setup - sounds cool! :cool:
Katie

raderman

Trey, I have never heard of a green, photosynthetic plant releasing CO2 and taking in O2. This goes against basic photosynthesis processes. I believe these plants create a most stable marine set-up naturally. Because they feed off of the nitrates produce and complete the natural cycles in nature. With that said, I do believe that many plants in a small aquarium would deplete available CO2 which could result in PH fluctuations, but not if normal water changes and chemical additions are routinely made.
IMHO

i cant think of the name, but theres a process trees, and plants go though, its just like photosynthises only diffrence is , its in reverse, it does it at night(when the lights go out) so during the day then yes it can help, then during the night if its to much it might hurt more than its doing good

twoods71

I believe Trey is correct.
Plants convert Carbon Dioxide into Oxygen and sugars while there is a light source.
During the dark hours plants use Oxygen and release Carbon Dioxide.

flydan

Hmmmmm.... Ok, my rough guess is I have about 5 feet worth of it in my tank now. 3 possibly 4 different varieties. Too much, too little or just right? It wouldn't be that hard to clip some of the longer strands back since the ph's are blowing the tops around anyway.
Any thoughts?
Thanks a bunch,
Dan'l :D

avacyn

All green photosynthetic plants release CO2 and take in O2 during the dark cycle of photosynthesis. The dark cycle happens when they aren't recieving light -night- which is why it is called the dark cycle. During the light cycle food is created from sunlight. During the dark cycle the plant undergoes other processes including ridding excess CO2 and taking in O2 needed for formation of sugar compounds. It's a fascinating process.
Avacyn
<STRONG>Trey, I have never heard of a green, photosynthetic plant releasing CO2 and taking in O2. This goes against basic photosynthesis processes. I believe these plants create a most stable marine set-up naturally. Because they feed off of the nitrates produce and complete the natural cycles in nature. With that said, I do believe that many plants in a small aquarium would deplete available CO2 which could result in PH fluctuations, but not if normal water changes and chemical additions are routinely made.
IMHO</STRONG>[/QUOTE]

K

krustytheclownfish

FYI-The process is called respiration. In the presence of light, plants go through photosynthesis and in the absence of light, plants go through respiration.

deep blue

So, with all the verities of Macro Allege out there is one better then the other when it comes to filtration ie.removing nitrates? Are the thicker caulerpas just as good as the thin fan caulerpas? Have any studies been done on what caulerpa gives back the best return on filtration?

@knight

any plant will release CO2 and turpenoids when it is not receiving light. this can be detrimental to your reef.
enjoy, but in moderation. As usual, Trey is correct, RADERMAN, turn the page in the Botany book.