Check out this Fish $250

nick76

Found at the LFS the other day, sorry the pic is a little blurry(took with my phone). I forgot what this fish's name was but I remember some1 on the board posted pictures of it a few weeks ago. Yea though $250 no guarantees. Looks pretty cool, but im doubting it does well in captivity by the looks of it. Just wanted to share

reefjr12

thats acualy a good price, its a scorpian (sp?) fish. Usually they run $1,500 and up. They acualy do quite good in captivity.
-Kevin

dragonzim

Looks like a Rhinopias, which is a type of Scorpionfish. I've seen them in various colors at some of my LFS for anywhere from $600 to $1500...

nick76

Heres a Picture and a bio I found online.

Scorpionfishes have large, heavily ridged and spined heads. Venomous spines on their back and fins with a groove and venom sack. Well camouflaged with tassels, warts and colored specks. Some scorpionfishes can change their color to better match their surroundings. The stonefish is a master of disguise and deception, it looks like a piece of coral or sand covered rock. Thus he can blend in with its surroundings and go unnoticed by its prey.
Most scorpion fishes live on or near the bottom. They lie in crevices, in caves and under overhangs. Range: Red Sea , pacific ocean to Australia, Hawaii. A few scorpionfishes (no lionfishes or stonefishes) live in the Caribbean
They feed on crustaceans, cephalopods and fishes employing a lie-in-wait strategy, remaining stationary and snapping prey that comes near. With their mouth they create a vacuum and suck prey in during a nearly imperceptible split-second movement (15 milliseconds).
Some have algae and hydroid growth on their body surfaces( stonefish) and at least one species (Decoy scorpionfish Iracundus signifier) has a dorsal fin that looks like a swimming fish, a behavior similar to that of the frogfish. Some species (for example the weed scorpionfish) sway their bodies from side to side so they look like a piece of debris.
Scorpionfishes are not aggressive, but if threatened they will erect their dorsal spines. If danger continues they flee, usually very fast but only for a short distance and then quickly settle back and freeze. The stonefishes for example ususally bury themselves in sand or rubble using a shoveling motion of their pectoral fins. In a matter of less than 10 seconds only the dorsal portion of the head remains exposed, some sand is thrown on top to further enhancing concealment. Some species like the devilfish have very bright red and yellow colors on the inner surface of their pectoral fins. Those colors are not visible when resting but are flashed if threatened.
Scorpion fishes produce a floating, gelatinous mass in which the eggs are embedded.

reefkprz

that is my favorite fish of all times. I would have bought it if id seen it with enough cash in my pocket or on a credit card.

nick76

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
very cool, and a steal at that price, I have not seen one for sale in years in my area
Yea i guess so if some are saying like $600 to $1500?!
If I only had a fish only tank Id have put it on hold and went back for it today.

btb9000

Originally Posted by Nick76
Yea i guess so if some are saying like $600 to $1500?!
If I only had a fish only tank Id have put it on hold and went back for it today.
They're pretty much reef safe.

reefer545

Originally Posted by BTB9000
They're pretty much reef safe.
If you dont have other fish or shrimp in with them. They sell here in Chicago for no less than 1200 bux. One store always has 1. Its really funny watching people that dont know it is in the tank, cuz they will walk by and never even give a hint of noiticing it, then it moves a tiny bit, and they all get blown away that that is a FISH. Sweet fish. It is definitely a rhino.

jtrzerocool

there was a bright red Rhinopias scorpionfish at my lfs for $350. i wanted him so bad but i didnt have the money to fork out.

srfisher17

If you like different and expensive fish; check out the livestock section * mod edit+
why do that
* they have several different fish like the one posted, and today have a $3700 angel.

coral keeper

Iv seen a few in my area and the cheapest price iv seen one for is like $600 and they run around $600-$1200 in my area. Iv also seen a other fish thats a lot smaller, like 2 inches or so, and it didnt look like one of those fish that everyone is talking about, and it was half buryed in the sand and it was 100% white, it looked awesome! It was only like $40.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by srfisher17
If you like different and expensive fish; check out the livestock section * mod edit+
why do that
* they have several different fish like the one posted, and today have a $3700 angel.
You're right. SWF.C does a great service for us...sorry!

btb9000

Originally Posted by REEFER545
If you dont have other fish or shrimp in with them.
It can't eat what doesn't fit in its mouth. Just keep fish that are larger than it's mouth, and you should be good.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by srfisher17
why do that
Lol, first me, now you... I think the mods are getting a bit tired of this thread.
Sorry again, mods