Clean Up Crew Question?

rebelprettyboy

Wondering if this clean up crew would be good for a 30 gallon? Is it to much? What should I remove? and What should I add? All these things well be ordered from this site... And the tank will be a full reef tank maybe just 1 or 2 fish...
10- Blue Legged Crabs
10- Turbo Snails
10- Cerith Snails
10- Nassarius Snails
1- Lettuce Nudibranch
3- Emerald Crabs
1- Fighting Conch
5- Sandsifting Crabs

dammar

I got about the same for my 46g. If I did it again though, I would get less snails, about 1/3rd of them died, im assuming they starved becuse I got too many

Ill let the experts give you a more detailed answer though.

lexluethar

Too much to start out with. I go with the theory, "start out slow," abd then add as needed.
A lot of times unless you have a BIG mess to cleanup because of algae, your hermits, snails, etc, will die because lack of food. I say with a 30 gallon start off with 15 hermits and maybe 5-10 snails and something sand sifting - if you still see algae, or diatoms, etc building up then purchase more. NO need to jack up your water parameters by having a bunch die b/c the lack of food and algae.
If you do purchase that may, and only have two fish - be prepared to spot feed your cleanup crew.
JMO.

nsajd

My crew has attacked my shaving brush trees(hermit crabs), and have demolished one already...any thoughts?

lecithin

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
Too much to start out with. I go with the theory, "start out slow," abd then add as needed. JMO.
Agreed
Start slow, I think if you dumped all those in at once you'd starve at least half of them. I think if your tank was well established that still might be too much.
I tend to stay from hermits, they like to chomp on snails from time to time (though some people have luck with them) I don't take the risk.
Blue leg hermits are also more aggressive then say scarlets, so you might want to contemplate a substitute there.

rcoultas

That is definitely way too much - particularly the sand sifting stars - that size tank will have difficulty supporting one, five would certainly starve. Other than that I have to agree with the other posts in that you need to start out slower unless this is an established tank that is simply lacking a clean up crew