Cleaner Shrimp more sensitive?

S

sandy

My tank is only 4 months old and has been moved twice. (No more moves...). Please see below for inhabitants. In the week(s) follwing the move, I lost my favorite critter: Simon da Shrimp, a large hermit (my favorite hermit too!) and a turbo snail. I assume from NitrAtes or stress from the move.
Now, Simon da shrimp da second has died. Are Cleaner Shrimp more sensitive to water quality? I have 3 pepperments who are fine...
These buggers are cute... and expensive. I will not be replacing them for awhile.

S

sandy

hmmmm.... and I switched from Coral Life Salt to Instant Ocean Salt recently. I check salinity often... BUT when I did freshwater top offs... it was on *his* side of the tank. dang it. I HATE learning this way. It's not about the money, though I'm pretty darn poor... I STILL am mourning Simon! Thanks for the response.

uvmfish

It is good to know about their sensativity to salinity changes. I would love to have a cleaner shrimp or two in the future... But how sensative are they? If one does not top off the aquarium every day or two do they suffer or does it takes more. As stated I would also love a cleaner shrimp but as they are 15 to 18 dollars each I would hate to lose them! Any more responses to this post would help us! Thanks!

S

sandy

Dang 15-18 is a steal. Both LFS in Tucson sell them for $35.00. Dat's what I paid. More expensive than my fish (except Purple Tang). Simon was worth it. Simon the 2nd... well, I miss him too, but...
Purple Tang = $100.00
Royal Gramma = $25.00
(Whom I suspect is not a Royal Gramma b/c no black spot... otherwise looks just like one -blended colors, etc.)
Yellow Head Sleeper Goby = $22.00
Percula Clowns (Common) = $16.00 each
Scooter Blenny = $8.00
& Pepperment Shrimp
CLEANER = $35.00 EACH !!!!!