cleaning prefilters???

cyn

Since I have changed my tank to a DSB, I have discovered a problem. I realize that the 'silt' will eventually all settle, but I am having trouble with the prefilters on my powerheads. When I try to remove the power heads to clean the prefilters, I get a terrible cloud of gunk no matter how carefully I take them out. Any tricks to getting them out to clean without this happening? It eventually clears again, but I seem to be chasing my tail here!

broomer5

You may try leaving the foam prefilters off the powerheads for a couple weeks. Let the dust settle, the tank will clear.
Later on try putting the prefilters back on.
I eventually stopped using the prefiliters.
Just an idea -
Broomer

cyn

Now why didn't I think of that!!! Thanks Mr. Salty! Gonna do it today. AGAIN!!! LOL
cyn

von_rahvin

i don't use the prefilters. friend of mine told me they just catch all the little critters swimming around in your water. any thought?

cyn

I am using prefilters because I intend to house anenomies eventually. As far as them catching the 'critters' better caught than pureed! Just my opinion.
cyn

von_rahvin

my anenomies just hang out on their rocks. they hop around some but other than that. I was talking about little little critters. like pods etc.

cyn

Sorry, I did not mean to offend. Everything I have read says that many anenomies die from being pulled into powerheads. As far as pods go, I do see many in the prefilters, but they seem to feed there. Thanks for your input none the less!
Cyn :)