Cloudy Water.. Help!

justphong

Ok here's my problem...
1st.
i have salt water in my tank alone... everything was clear and fine.. i left it there for one day...
2nd..
next day.. i went and got myself a new floral filter the 404 model.. i assembled it immediately no problems
i then on the same day got 3 bags of sand... i washed them with intense care.... when i add the sand to my tank its extremely cloudly
So i thought.. maybe the sand will settle down after a while...
i turned off the filter.. thinking it would help? does it?
left it there for approx 5 hrs... still cloudly
now i have the filter turned on...
is this normal? should i have my filter on? tips or anything would be greatly appreciated
thanks a lot

viet-tin

i 2 had cloudy water wen i set up my display tank. Water looked cloudy 4 awhile after i mixed my salt in. After a few days it jus went away.

powen

I am guessing this is normal. i had the same issue when i set up my tank. it was cloudy for a couple days.
i am no expert but i am guessing that the filter media needs to get "broken in" before it starts really working. a flocculation of sorts.
either way i am sure the tank will clear up shortly.
good luck!

|2ain

this is normal for it to be cloudly, happens basically no matter what or how good you wash it, keep your filter running and it will be crystal clear in a couple days, just let it sit and do its thing

T

thomas712

The bacteria needs to develop to get a hold of the sand grains, once that happens it will help weight it down.
Thomas

powen

Bacteria?
Thats interesting.
My tank exhibited the same cloudiness on startup and cleared itself in short order without anything organic added.
I just ran the filter for a few days and whammo it worked.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by powen
Bacteria?
Thats interesting.
My tank exhibited the same cloudiness on startup and cleared itself in short order without anything organic added.
I just ran the filter for a few days and whammo it worked.

Depends on if you used dry sand or already bacteria coverd live sand.
Thomas