Clown fish help

ejensen

Mated pairs? Ok I not sure about the true and false clown. Can you just get two and make them a pair or do they pair up in the ocean? I've read about it in some website and still not sure what to get. I've heard that the false perc's are more hardy than the true perc's but they are not sold as mated pairs. Should I get them as a mated pair? What are the advatages of getting matted pairs? I know that they have different markings and grow to differents sizes.

marineman

yes they do pair up in a tank. some people buy about 6 small juveniles and observe for pairing up then move trade or keep together if tank is large enough and everyone is getting a long. I just paired a lg female maroon clown by buying a small male put him in a guppy breeder net so she could get used to his presence and then released him and she accepted without any battles. Or the easy way is to buy them paired. I think they are happier with a mate and behave more naturally as this is how they live in the wild. I believe the Females are the larger in size and dominant in a pair for all clownfish.

karajay

With percs, you would be successful with just buying two small juvies. As they mature, the dominant, larger one will be the female. The smaller, passive one will be male.
It would be easier to buy a mated pair, but I've never seen anyplace that sells them. And if you get them small, they will pair up on their own.