clown fish spots

dorlando

why do my clown fish get white spots when the temp drops 3 to 5 degrees. it is not ich. when the temp goes back up the spots go away.

btldreef

Stress. It could very well still be ich, that is showing up when they're stressed. 3-5 degree temperature swing can easily stress out a fish. Ich is easier for the fish to fight off visible signs of at higher temps.

mikeo5422

The only white spots im familiar with are ich. Take a look at this picture http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/kutsujutc/photo10.jpg Those are ich spots. What are your water parameters? How new are your fish? What kind of livestock do you have? What is your temperature at before it drops?

dorlando

I have seen ich many times. I saw your e-mail pic of ich in your attachment. the fish are in the tank for 3 days . It is a new salt water setup ( 5 days with live rock ) tank has not turned at all yet ( PH 8.2, Amm 0, Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 ) . 2 fish were put in to quicken the process. ( expecting to loose the fish ) No other critters. The temp is 81 high 78 low. again when at 81 no spots at 78 spots are on the fish. Fish are active. I think part of the temp fluctuation is due to the # 29 bio cube. When the white light comes on with the fans ( fan no option ) the temp drops 3 to 4 degrees. When I turn the light off the temp raises 3 to 4 degrees. I do not think that little temp change would cause ich. do you think that the spots because they come and go may be from stress. I know ich does not go away that quick. Please reply.

dorlando

Forgot to say. I went back to the store that I bought the clowns at to look at the tank they came out of.Out of seven clowns left, 2 had spots the rest looked good. ( please understand the spots are so small unless you are looking you would not see them ). I also talked to a sales person who stated that they not got any shipments of fish in since i bought my clowns no new fish were introduce into that tank.

btldreef

I'm not saying the ich goes away, I'm saying it's hiding at the higher temp, and it's showing up due to stress when the temp drops.
It certainly sounds like ich, but could just be stress.
On a side note, cycling your tank with fish is a cruel practice and there are numerous ways to cycle a tank without using fish.
Also, I have used the BioCube many times and never had fluctuations like that. How long are you keeping the actinic light on without the white (which has the fan)?

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorlando http:///t/389517/clown-fish-spots#post_3443131
I have seen ich many times. I saw your e-mail pic of ich in your attachment. the fish are in the tank for 3 days . It is a new salt water setup ( 5 days with live rock ) tank has not turned at all yet ( PH 8.2, Amm 0, Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 ) . 2 fish were put in to quicken the process. ( expecting to loose the fish ) No other critters.
The temp is 81 high 78 low. again when at 81 no spots at 78 spots are on the fish. Fish are active. I think part of the temp fluctuation is due to the # 29 bio cube. When the white light comes on with the fans ( fan no option ) the temp drops 3 to 4 degrees. When I turn the light off the temp raises 3 to 4 degrees. I do not think that little temp change would cause ich. do you think that the spots because they come and go may be from stress. I know ich does not go away that quick. Please reply.
Not to be rude, but WHAT!!!!
The only thing that is OK, in your entire post is the pH level.
It is highly recommended not to use livestock to cycle a tank. Live rock itself will cycle a tank. I would remove the fish from the tank and if the store will take them back let them deal with the problem. Your tank isn't ready for livestock right now.
Your tank is probably infected with ICH, all fish in the system may not show visible signs of ICH. ICH can be under the gills for instance.
Also a 3-4 degree swing in temp in say 2 hours is not good. Bringing that temp down or up over the course of a week would be better. Is this tank near a window, heater vent, etc.?
Before I go any further, I would highly suggest you read the stickies at the top of this forum.
Also if your Local Fish Store (LFS) suggested you use livestock to cycle your tank, I would choose another store. Not only are they providing bad advice, but they are also taking your money, knowing the livestock will die and you will return to spend more money. If you did this on your own, I highly suggest a lot more research before you purchase anything else, even equipment. I wasted a lot of money early on by not asking the right questions, or thinking I didn't need something. Boy was I wrong.
With that being said, ask a question, ask some more, and some more. Then research the answers provided. There are multiple ways to get to the same point, make sure that the methods you choose you are comfortable with and are able to execute.
Good Luck, hope this helps....

dorlando

I was not trying to be cruel when i introduced the fish to a new tank ( my son who is in salt water big time told me they would die ). I come from the old school 25 years ago or so. Then that was the way it was done. Back then you would set a tank up and have most of your fish in the tank within a week or so maybe loosing a fish or two and then moving on. Putting that behind, I am trying to fix a problem that I guess I have created. Is there a way to get the ich ( if that is what it is ) out of the tank or do you think I need to start over from scratch. I am trying to do this right. It just has been a long time since i started a salt water tank. Now that I am having problems I am doing much more research. ( hind sight is 20/20 vision I should have done more research before starting) If you know of a way to rid my tank of this problem I would like to hear an answer or a possible answer. I will continue to research this so I can educate myself to prevent further problems.

florida joe

Quote:
I'm not saying the ich goes away, I'm saying it's hiding at the higher temp, and it's showing up due to stress when the temp drops.
hiding REALLY

mr. limpid

Yes there is a way (two ways) to rid your tank with ick. The way I recommend since your tank is new take fish back to store, your tank has not cycled so the fish will die from there own waste. Wait 8 weeks (test water in the mean time), after 8 weeks ick would of died off and all your reading should be at 0 and PH should be between 7.8 - 8.3. You'll also need to set up a QT, since, "Forgot to say. I went back to the store that I bought the clowns at to look at the tank they came out of.Out of seven clowns left, 2 had spots the rest looked good." If the store you buy from has ick in there tanks any fish you buy from them will carry ick on them or in the water itself. Go to Fish Disease & Treatment and read the two post at the top, this will help you set up a QT and show how to treat for ick.

S

smallreef

Not to be rude, but just because something was done one way 20 years ago, and we have learned SO MUCH MORE since, then why would you subject living animals to certain death?
You are starting off doing things an antiquated way, I am assuming you are using newer technology, newer filtration, so why would you not cycle the tank a more respectable way?
Anyways getting off that...
Take the fish out... instantly and take them back to the LFS or if your son has a QT tank let him try to keep them alive for you (since he didnt stop you from buying them in the first place)
then let the tank cycle and be BARE (fallow) for 8 weeks.. its takes 8 weeks for ich to cycle through its life without a host...
THEN after a few extra days get a few fish... if you dont wait the 8 weeks,, your just going to introduce it to your new fish..

meowzer

gotta agree......get rid of the fish and leave the tank empty for the next 8 weeks....give it time to cycle properly too
otherwise you will always have ich in your system