Clown needs a new home !!!!

ilovemytank

I'm very sad but have to find one of my clowns a new home. I have had two pairs of clowns living in full peace for more than two years in my tank. Each pair has its small and large partner. Overnight the large black clown took over the carpet anenome home of the smaller percula clown. He is constantly chasing the smaller percula clown until he hides in a small spot behind a rock. He is attacking him bad enough that I think he'll kill him or the abused the abused clown will starve. The larger black clown has fully teamed up with the larger percula clown and has even let his small partner ( black clown ) to move into the anenome too. I must find one of these clowns a new home. I think the only option is the abused clown because the others probably won't allow him back home. It's a shame because my tank is definately big enough for all ( DT 125 ). Any feed back ?

kaingers

I would suggest getting rid of a pair. Even though there is only 1 outkast now, as soon as you remove him chances are there will be a winning team of 2 and a losing team of 1 again. Clowns are built to find a mate, and who ever is left will get the abuse. I agree a 125 should be big enough to keep 2 pairs, but I'm sure the carpet is causing the commotion.
I would suggest setting up a 20-30 gallon tank and moving a pair there.

invertcrazy

Originally Posted by kaingers
http:///forum/post/3002157
I would suggest getting rid of a pair. Even though there is only 1 outkast now, as soon as you remove him chances are there will be a winning team of 2 and a losing team of 1 again. Clowns are built to find a mate, and who ever is left will get the abuse. I agree a 125 should be big enough to keep 2 pairs, but I'm sure the carpet is causing the commotion.
I would suggest setting up a 20-30 gallon tank and moving a pair there.
+2 on taking a pair out.

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3002449
why do u have 2 pairs in the same tank in the first place?
125 gallon tank is definately big enough for two pairs. They have lived in peace for over two years. The black pair had its own anenome up until about two months ago. wouldn't try to find criticism in me having two pairs.

ilovemytank

I got lucky and caught the abused on last night and moved him into my refugium. ( don't worry my refugium is huge ) and he already seems more at peace. He even ate this morning. I will keep him for a few days till I find him a home. I will watch very closely the lone small black clown. If he comes under attack than I'll do the same. There could be a chance that they turn towards him then I will remove him but I'll wait and see first. I will never allow a fish or tank mate to be harmed just because I like the fish.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by Ilovemytank
http:///forum/post/3002482
125 gallon tank is definately big enough for two pairs. They have lived in peace for over two years. The black pair had its own anenome up until about two months ago. wouldn't try to find criticism in me having two pairs.
Not trying to criticize, but obviously you have found out that a 125 isnt always big enough for 2 pairs. If it was, you wouldnt be looking for a new home for the poor lil guy that is getting beaten up. Sure sometimes people can get away with it, but usually once the clowns start thinking of maybe spawning, and if they have an anemone, they can become even more territorial. You have been fortunate enough for 2 years because the species of clowns that you have are some of the least aggressive species..
Sure, it can work, and even has in tanks smaller than yours, but its not typical
Some other poor soul may read your post saying that the 125 is big enough for 2 pair.. And they may have more aggressive clowns like maroons or eppiphiums..
Again, keeping three may possibly work but not typically.. I agree with the others about separating them but keeping the pairs together. Or, If you would like to keep one of each, you would be MUCH MUCH better off by keeping the 2 smaller clowns and letting them work out their sexuality.
Now lets talk sexuality.. Leaving the 2 larger clowns together and getting rid of the other small one would be effectivly getting rid of the 2 males.. NO biggie.. One will become female and they may live happily ever after.. That would leave you 2 females in the 125.. Even if they are getting along now, they will likely fight it out later on down the road
(refugium: A place to provide refuge from predators. (usually meant for micro-critters). Clowns are predators of those micro-critters. Leaving a clownfish in a refugium renders your refugium as just another separate tank so maybe you could keep a pair in there?

ilovemytank

Ok, I you are right about my species being the least hostile. I am a peaceful community tank keeper. I definately think that this behavior has come from the desire to spawn. The larger black clown is doing a vibrating dance to the larger percula clown. Does that make the black clown the male or the female ?
I am goiung to leave the smaller black clown for now. He is amazingly smaller yet the same age. They both allow him full access and aren't agressive towards him. If I see any hostility I'll remove him.
The clown is only in my refugium until Tuesday when I'll have the ability to bring him to the LFS that will be finding him a home. He has 65 gallons of a refugium right now and allowed to eat anything that will keep him happy.
I'm sure you can tell by what I say in this thread that I have huge concern for the fish and all the lives that I watch over in my aquarium.
Thanks to anyone who can answer which is the male and female ?
Originally Posted by Rod Buehle
http:///forum/post/3002507
Not trying to criticize, but obviously you have found out that a 125 isnt always big enough for 2 pairs. If it was, you wouldnt be looking for a new home for the poor lil guy that is getting beaten up. Sure sometimes people can get away with it, but usually once the clowns start thinking of maybe spawning, and if they have an anemone, they can become even more territorial. You have been fortunate enough for 2 years because the species of clowns that you have are some of the least aggressive species..
Sure, it can work, and even has in tanks smaller than yours, but its not typical
Some other poor soul may read your post saying that the 125 is big enough for 2 pair.. And they may have more aggressive clowns like maroons or eppiphiums..
Again, keeping three may possibly work but not typically.. I agree with the others about separating them but keeping the pairs together. Or, If you would like to keep one of each, you would be MUCH MUCH better off by keeping the 2 smaller clowns and letting them work out their sexuality.
Now lets talk sexuality.. Leaving the 2 larger clowns together and getting rid of the other small one would be effectivly getting rid of the 2 males.. NO biggie.. One will become female and they may live happily ever after.. That would leave you 2 females in the 125.. Even if they are getting along now, they will likely fight it out later on down the road
(refugium: A place to provide refuge from predators. (usually meant for micro-critters). Clowns are predators of those micro-critters. Leaving a clownfish in a refugium renders your refugium as just another separate tank so maybe you could keep a pair in there?

flower

The large one is the female...I think they are all male and when they pare up one becomes female and grows bigger.
I am no expert but I believe that's what I read. I know the bigger is female, on that I am sure.

ilovemytank

I've always known the large one as female too. I only ask because there isn't much of a size difference between these two.
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3003012
The large one is the female...I think they are all male and when they pare up one becomes female and grows bigger.
I am no expert but I believe that's what I read. I know the bigger is female, on that I am sure.

kaingers

I think the fuge is a good place to put him for now. I am working on breeding clows, so from my stand point I would be to keep the pairs together. Have you thought about getting another nem?

i would keep the pair of black and whites. The larger is the "female" and the smaller is the "male". Take the other pair and houe in refugium and set up another tank or take to LFS for trade...Hope all works out..

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by Ilovemytank
http:///forum/post/3003469
I've always known the large one as female too. I only ask because there isn't much of a size difference between these two.
If there isnt much size difference then they are probably still sorting it out. The male will generally allow the female to dominate him and push him around.