Clown thickness

cjrose

I have to clowns in a 10gl qt that I got yesterday. One is about an 1 1/4 inches and the other is between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 inches. They are both eating and swimming well. I noticed though that the larger one is really thick/fat between her 1st and 2nd white stripe...kinda like a freshwater fancy tailed guppy when it's pregnant. My other one is more streamlined. I thought the smaller one looked normal but the other one makes it look thin.
I have attached a some pics of them. Are they normal or is there something wrong with them? Oh, and the spots you see are on the glass not the fish

Thanks!

S

shrimpy brains

Have these clowns been together for a while?? I think at an inch and 3/4's they are too young, but in the third pic. I would say the larger one is female and loaded with eggs.
JMO, not sure!

cjrose

No. They were in separate tanks at the lfs. Yesterday was the first time they have been together. The larger one had a maroon clown in the tank next to it and an ocellaris behind it. The smaller one was in a tank with a larger misbar ocellaris. They could be slightly bigger than what I stated. I asked them to swim up to the ruler so I could measure them but they wouldn't listen...lol
I'm hoping they will bond. They seem to be off to a good start. I have had terrible luck with clowns for some reason. Don't know if it was the store I was getting them from or not. These seem to be ok. I had the lady at the lfs feed them and the little one came up right away and ate. The big one is more shy and it took a minute, but it came up to eat as well.
What exactly should I be feeding them? I have been giving them gut loaded mysis and emerald green soaked in zoecom. I also have some frozen shrimp and scallops that I can thaw and chop up. The lady at the LFS was giving them bloodworms and brine which I know has no nutritional value. I'm just hope they continue to eat. They last 2 that I got ate for the 1st 2 days and then stopped eating. One died and then I returned the other to the store. I was given my money back for both.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
She does kinda look overly fat. Lets hope it is fat and not some kind of infection.
Keep a close eye on it.

That would be nice if she was loaded with eggs!! Not sure but as long as she is acting healthy you should be ok, just keep an eye on them. If it turns out to be an infection you may want to look into setting up some sort of quarantine station.
Also keep an eye on their bonding. I had 2 maroons and after 3 months the larger one snapped and killed the smaller one. Granted maroons are a much more aggressive clown, just spend time watching your fish.

cjrose

Thanks. I actually called the lfs and the lady said I could bring it back and trade it out, which I did. The original fish just wasn't acting right. It was swimming ok but wasn't nearly as active as the other one. It is also smaller than I thought so definitely not eggs. Anyway, I got another one and hopefully this one will be fine. She seems to be ok so far. BTW, I spend alot of time watching my fish. Never thought I would like and sometimes hate this hobby as much as I do...lol