Clownfish not going near anenome

devon

Hi I have a couple of questions. I have 2 percula clowns and I just put in a BTA and the clowns won't go near it(1 day now). Why? Does it take a long time for them to do what ever it is they do?
My other ? was I have a sebae anemone (white with purple tips am I right) and I got a anemone crab to go with it ( I thought it was neat) was that a stupid buy? Do I need to do anything for the crab? If anybody has any could you show me a picture. Oh and the crab only has 1 claw is this normal?
Thanks for all the help!
:jumping:

salty cheese

Some will take to a anemone some won't.
Not flaming you but IMO you are taking a big risk having 2 differrent types of anemones in the same tank.

qball

You just put the anemone in so it may take a while for them to get used to it, if they do take to it. I have a green BTA and a false perc that is tank raised. At first, the clown did nothing but swim around the tank. So I did what others have said... put up a pic of a clown hosting in an anemone on the tank glass. The idea is that they learn from the picture and take to the anemone. It doesn't work in all cases, but i worked for me. It still took 2 weeks for it to happen, but now the perc never really leaves the BTA.
As for the anemone crab, I really don't have experience in that. I have heard that the crabs sometime can annoy the anemone and steal food from it. Just what I've heard/read though.
Good luck!
QBall

devon

Why is it a big risk to have 2 different anemones in one tank? And nobody out there has an anemone crab or pictures? thanks

thegrog

Originally posted by devon
Why is it a big risk to have 2 different anemones in one tank? And nobody out there has an anemone crab or pictures? thanks

In a small tank, they will engage in chemical warfare on one another. When they do this, one or both of them will die and everything else in your tank will suffer as well. Different anemones are not found near each other in the wild.
As for the crab, I had one for a few months in my RBTA before it died of unknown causes (honestly...it was fine one day and dead & dsmembered the next). Didn't seem to annoy the anemone at all. It had 2 claws. If a crab looses a claw or leg, it will eventually grow it back. No worry there. There are several species of crab. They are filter feeders/scavangers. They will eat anything it gets ahold of....including stealing a bit from the anemone.
here is a pic of mine

K

kimc

My Clown took about 8 months to find the anemone. If it's meant to be, it will happen!!

T

thomas712

I had one of those anemone crabs and kept him alive for over a year. I fed him very finely chopped zooplankton and he would sit and catch them in his scoops and chow down.
I agree that 2 species in the same tank could be a problem, unless on is on the rocks and the other stays on the substrate.
Yes the pic trick does work as stated by others.
Thomas

devon

one more ? The bta hangs out on the wall, will he ever go the rocks or sand? If my clowns do like him will they have to hang out with him on the wall?

neosoulman

Just read this old thread...
Seriously, put a picture of a clown hosting an anemone on the tank??
I have 2 false percs and a sebae, they have not hosted yet, nor do they seem interested. I've had the sebae for a month.
I guess I'll try the picture thing - anyone else heard of this working?

S

scighera

I have had this porcilan crab for about a year and a half
and he loves going in the anenome's I just got a carpet aneome and he ditched the bubble tip and moved right in within an hour. I have two percs and three anoenome's and they haven't hosted any (yet) >pink tip >bubble tip>carpet anoenome
I have had the true percs for about 3 mounths now