coffee table tank

Hey,
Im picking up an all glass coffee table aquarium and im lookin for some ideas. Obviously the tank will be in the open so i want something(s) really eye popping! Any ideas? Ive also got a 55g up and running. Ive got the experience to get something maybe a bit more difficult to keep alive?
The tank is probably 30-40g
Thanks,
Eric

I have a 29 gallon on a cofee table.. does that count? :p (braced it up so it can handle the weight). That aside, I chose to go the nem and perc route. Added a flame angle and a coral banded shrimp for some extra flair. Xenia and GSP for the main corals as well as an open brain that came on some LR. That will be it for corals for me(as wella s one small SPS digitata I am trying out in the tank). The nem is the centerpeice of my tank, and very colorful.
Re-cap: Something large and bright to draw the eye, then subtle features throughout the tank to keep attention :)

chrisnif

I'm making the assumption that you are going to heat it but i'm not sure what you're plans are for lighting. I'd say though go FOWLR with it and get some wrasses or gobies. I'd say a Harlequin tusk would make for an awesome display even if it'd have to be alone, but im not sure what kind of space these guys need.
Originally Posted by Stealth Hippo
http:///forum/post/3188774
Hey,
Im picking up an all glass coffee table aquarium and im lookin for some ideas. Obviously the tank will be in the open so i want something(s) really eye popping! Any ideas? Ive also got a 55g up and running. Ive got the experience to get something maybe a bit more difficult to keep alive?
The tank is probably 30-40g
Thanks,
Eric

E

eric b 125

the problem with these kind of tanks is that there's not much you can do for filtration, water movement, heating, and lighting. they are also designed with the idea of keeping evaporation down to a minimum, which can increase CO2 levels which in turn can mess w/ your pH. if you can make it work and look good, then it would definately be a gnarly tank.

Hmm yeah that tusk would be epic. Ill have to look at the tank more and try to see how i can get a powerhead and heater in there. Lighting would be an issue if i went the coral route. Thanks for the ideeas! Cant wait to get started

olemiss

Its a table with a tank in it? Could you post a pic. Does it use a pendant light, sump, where's the skimmer go? I'm having a hard time picturing how it works. Sound interesting but seems like it would be a maintenance nightmare from the mental picture I've made.

Most have lights coming up threw the bottom of the table. Also on the bottom there is usually a kind of stand that holds very minimal filteration. It would def. be a challenge to convert it to saltwater but would be awesome if it could be done.

calbert0

you may want to install an outlet on the floor (unless there is already on there) where the tank/table is going to be, or else there will be electrical cords running all over the place.

small triggers

best bet..... live rock in the middle like a mountain the fish HAVE to swim around and 1 or 2 medium sized fish.and a few small helpers...usually these tanks have undergravel filters and only 2 or 4 13 watt compact flourescent bulbs so fish only is the way to go...
maybe a dwarf angel and a small wrasse, a longnosed hawk and a sand sifting goby, if you can do sand and not CC and a good CUC...

fretfreak13

Did you say octo? That would be pretty cool =O
Personally, I'd just do damsels. Very hardy, and pretty. If they're the only fish going in the tank, then there's nothing for them to be aggressive to besides eachother. If one does die you don't have to spend a bazillion dollars to replace it. , either.