Conversion cc to ls

hnkthetank

:needhelp: I'm thinking about changiing my substrate from cc to ls. Can anyone tell me the ups and downs, pros and cons of the conversion process? :help:

misslaina

I switched, advisable to do it all at once, but I did not, I did 20 lbs one week , 40 the next, then 40 the next. I removed all the cc in sections then replaced it with live sand. My tank was really cloudy then fine the next day. by the way, my clown goby lived through all of it, yes he was in the tank the whole time. What a trooper!

misslaina

oh yes, I was told to take out all inverts and live rock I cheated the first time and left in lr. Covered in dust, so this is why I suggest doing this all at once, cause you do need to take all of that out. just my opinion, check on others ideas too.

bronco300

i switched not too long ago in my 10 gallon...i put the rock in a container and covered it with water...took my crabs, snails, and fish, and put it in a container...took out as much water i could into another container...then took the cc out...which actually was when the mess started....i still had some water in it, and i was taking it out, it got really dirty...not fun....and i ended up having to add some permade saltwater i had because of the water i had covering the rocks...but after i had taken the most of the cc out, i put in the sand, and then veryyyyy slowly added the sand...then the way, rocks, crabs,fish,etc. it was clowdy for an hour or so, but cleared up, and looks soooooo MUCH better than the cc i had...i love it! here are before and after pics. i dont have my tank loaded right now, but i think it still looks great...all in all, it took me one and a half hours to complete...it was harder than what i expected, but definitely worth it!!
That is my opinion.
Luke P :happyfish

dmitry

Actually you really should leave the rocks in. For a (significantly) more stable rock structure the rocks should rest on the glass of the tank and sand should be poured around it. Any sand that settles on the rocks you can blow off with a turkey baster.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by Dmitry
Actually you really should leave the rocks in. For a (significantly) more stable rock structure the rocks should rest on the glass of the tank and sand should be poured around it.
I have some advice here. I did not want to have my rocks sitting on the glass. So I used eggcrate that was cut 2 inches away from the sides of the glass, placed my rock on that and then added sand. This way if there ever was a reefalanche my bottom glass would be safe.
Thomas