converting my 125gal from cichlid to saltwater

canman

In need of opinions. I have had a 125gal cichlid tank for about 3 years and want to convert it to saltwater. I want to do this right the first time. I have crushed coral as my substrate, is this ok? I have hob emperor 500 filters and I want to get a cannister to take place. Is this ok and if so what is a good option? I will also be needing new lights and what is the best way to go? I am wanting my tank to consist of live rock,lion,maybe a puffer,a small eel, and colorful fish. Any opinions will be helpful.

mr_x

hi.
get rid of the crushed coral. alot of detrius will build up in the crushed coral in a short time and cause you issues. you would be much better served with suger sized aragonite, or even bare bottom, depending on your tastes.
get rid of the hob filters and the cannister too.
you will use atleast 1 pound of live rock per gallon of water and a high quality protein skimmer as your filtration. that's all you need. i would suggest a skimmer that's rated for about double your tank volume for those predator fish.
having the tank drilled for bulkheads and implementing a sump would be the very best option for you. you could put all of your stuff (skimmer, heaters..) in the sump and it would open you up to a much better selecton of protein skimmers.
for a tank with live rock and predator fish, you only need a light so you can see the fish. live rock and fish do not need light.
you could probably use the light you had over the cichlid tank. (i'd change out the bulbs if they are over 8 months old)

canman

thanks for the advice. I believe the tank I want would classify as a fowlr tank with aggressive fish. I have heard not to feed your fish with freshwater feeders such as goldfish,guppies, or rosie reds. What should you feed these aggressive fish?