Copperband Butterfly

big-fish

i am thinking about getting a copperband butterfly fish,,and i have a 30 gal with alot of corals,,,i also did some reserch on it and i would like your opinion on it

lion_crazz

It does not sound like a good idea at all. Copperbands need much larger tanks, and they typically will pick at corals.

jonthefishguy

I would not put it in a small tank like a 30. Thats like locking your kids in a closet and raise them in there. I have a copperbanded and a crowned pearlscale in my tank and they are continuously looking for food. So I simply place rock that is covered in majano anemones ( abou 300 or so) and they tend to eat them all up. I actually have a guy that is infested with them so, I do him the favor of letting my fish clear his live rock.

srfisher17

I agree with all of the above. I'm afraid, IMO, a Copperband in a 30 gal with corals isn't even a close call.

hefner413

just go ahead and get a 100+ gallon - you'll want one eventually anyway!
Eh, if only it were only that easy, or that affordable. Geesh!
But yeah, go for a CB when you get a bigger tank. They are awesome fish!

watever91

would it be alright if i put it in a 55 gallon corner for 2 months and then switch to a 200 gallon cuz im getting a 200 in february. both the tanks r gonna be reefs.

jonthefishguy

No, just get your 200 running and then wait awhile for the food to build up and then put one in. Dont rush things, you will only lose.

hefner413

CB's can sometimes pick. Mine never has. Some people on here have stories of theirs picking... it's hit/miss. I think overall that they are not as much of a risk as others, like coral beauties, etc.

hefner413

200?? That's awesome! Why in February? You going to start a thread and keep us updated with it? I think I'm deciding on 200 being my next size tank.... eventually.
poo, now I'm jealous again!

watever91

well right now i just started a 55 gallon reef and my mom is like i want one for the family room and im like so excited cuz i can get tangs! im gonna probably push it to 250 lol. but im so excited cuz im gonna be able to get all the fish that cant go in a little 55 corner.

hefner413

Originally Posted by watever91
well right now i just started a 55 gallon reef and my mom is like i want one for the family room and im like so excited cuz i can get tangs! im gonna probably push it to 250 lol. but im so excited cuz im gonna be able to get all the fish that cant go in a little 55 corner.
AWESOME!
Yeah, definitely push for what you can get!! 250 would be sweeeet!!!