Coral catshark

ci11337

i wouldn't put a coral catshark, (with the intention of keeping it) into any tank with length x width dimensions of less than 96" x 36" (height isn't to important.) Thats all I'm gonna say. (biting his tongue)

whitey

Hey journeyman.
I respect you very much, and agree with much of the stuff you contribute to here, but deleting my post and not others is pretty ridiculous.

krj-1168

and KRJ, i dont know if you took a chance to look at my SN or read my other posts...your preaching to the wrong person when it comes to water filtration and sharks...i can guarantee you i know a lot more of what a shark needs to survive than you.
Jake
I'll agree with Brenden.
In that your (Jake) statement is very bold -- And actually very foolish on your part. Since you have no idea of what my full knowledge about shark and rays covers.
According you your own posts - you have experience with Hemiscylliidae & Brachaeluridae sharks, as well as Dasyatidae & Urolophidae rays. From a private shark aquarists POV - it's may seem fairly impressive. But the number of sharks & rays you've kept - does kind of make me wonder about your "experience" some. And it seems you've limited yourself to species which are generally consider to be the easiest shark & rays to keep.
But for the record - my knowledge of sharks & rays presently includes the captivity husbandry needs for 12 families of sharks & 7 families of rays & skates.

I thought they say sharks are blind.
Its 1 a.m. and I just went out to my tank to see my shark. His eyes were opened and swimming around casually. I went up close to the tank right next to him and he took off with a speed . I did again after a while and he did it again .I have never seen him swim that fast.
I have a dimmer in the diningroom so the lights were kind of dim but I was still visible.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Whitey
http:///forum/post/2513126
Hey journeyman.
I respect you very much, and agree with much of the stuff you contribute to here, but deleting my post and not others is pretty ridiculous.
Sorry Whitey, just came back to this thread and saw your post.
I deleted your post, primarily, because you had quoted and were responding to a post that got deleted.

krj-1168

I thought they say sharks are blind. Its 1 a.m. and I just went out to my tank to see my shark. His eyes were opened and swimming around casually. I went up close to the tank right next to him and he took off with a speed . I did again after a while and he did it again .I have never seen him swim that fast. I have a dimmer in the diningroom so the lights were kind of dim but I was still visible.
There's a few species of Sharks that are blind. But most sharks can actually see well - especially at night or low light.

tvan

Yes there are right answers always. I have kept sharks and killed sharks........ I say killed because 2 died in my care through hurricane Charley(no power for three weeks, summertime, Florida ). One survived. These beautiful creatures should not be kept in cages IMHO. A caged water environment is very fragile and we become their only life support. If you can't afford the very best life support and care for these animals why subject them to a life of stress and cruelty. The right answer is "am I going to dedicate the time a resources to make this creature comfortable for it's entire life".
tvan

Originally Posted by tvan
http:///forum/post/2525083
Yes there are right answers always. I have kept sharks and killed sharks........ I say killed because 2 died in my care through hurricane Charley(no power for three weeks, summertime, Florida ). One survived. These beautiful creatures should not be kept in cages IMHO. A caged water environment is very fragile and we become their only life support. If you can't afford the very best life support and care for these animals why subject them to a life of stress and cruelty. The right answer is "am I going to dedicate the time a resources to make this creature comfortable for it's entire life".
tvan
What size tank did you have them in?

moraymike

Originally Posted by tvan
http:///forum/post/2525083
tvan
"beautiful creatures should not be kept in cages"
same could be said for all marine fish...

tvan

I had a 265 .... 2 coral cats.... a japanese wobie. 1hp chiller 30gallon fuge . 20 gallon sump. 4" sandbed.
Watching the cats swim reminded me of caged Tigers.
So I built a 400 gallon plywood tank....In an outside greenhouse. Charlie took that out as well. Now I have a 20gallon coral garden just started. No fish.... just coral, snails, sponges sea squirts and clams.

krj-1168

Yeah all fish kept in aquariums(be it public or private) are ... "like caged animals" , Because that exactly what they are.
Keep in mind that many wild animals can and do breed in captivity. Many types of Wild Mammals, Birds, Reptiles Amphibians, & even fish regularly breed in captivity. Even Sharks are known to breed in public Aquariums. And in some cases the smaller species(such as Bamboos & Eppies) of sharks are sometimes even known to breed in private home aquariums.