coral dip

poker34

I recently purchased some coral from a LFS that is about 90 minutes away from my house. While there I picked up a devils claw, hairy toadstool, chili coral, and a purple fungia. Before I left the store, the owner recommended I place some MediCoral in the bag to disinfect the coral. He has great looking coral in the store and a ton of them so I took his advice. He knew I was driving 90 minutes to my house so he put the coral in some larger bags with the dip.
Anyway, I got home and acclimated my coral like I normally do. I rinsed the coral with tank water in a seperate container and placed them in my tank. After 3 days, my hairy toadstool and devils claw look TERRIBLE. They look as if they are disintegrating. Do you think the coral were in the dip too long? I was hesitent to keep them in so long (I have read that 10-15 minutes is long enough) but took the experts advice. Before the addition of the coral my parameters were: Temp 78.8, ph 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20.

garick

Are they like leathers that shed a layer of skin to clean themselves? I've had some of those leathers that look horrible after a few days that are shedding skin and afterwords look great.

poker34

It does look like they are shedding a skin but they are also losing some pieces. I am considering pulling them from my tank but do not want to if this is fairly normal. I have a quaratine tank but the lighting is not real great. My QT is mainly for fish.

flower

Originally Posted by poker34
http:///forum/post/3209006
It does look like they are shedding a skin but they are also losing some pieces. I am considering pulling them from my tank but do not want to if this is fairly normal. I have a quaratine tank but the lighting is not real great. My QT is mainly for fish.

The devils claw is not like a leather..If you are sure you acclimated correctly, I have to agree that 90 minutes is a long time in a coral dip.