Coralife Super Skimmer Review.....

saltwater8

I was so hyped about the Coralife Super Skimmer after reading all of the good comments on here...
But I ran across this review on the net...
PRODUCT REVIEW - Coralife Protein Skimmer 125gal.

[hr]
Coralife Protein Skimmer 125gal.
Introduction
The skimmer is said to allow setting it as a hang on back or in sump unit. It’s rated to handle up to 125gal. It uses a needle-wheel impeller in a submersible pump to fractionate water + a venturi as an air supply. The unit is made of polycarbonate plastic.
Product Review
First, the instruction manual is well written and easy to follow. It has also a lot of graphics that support the written text and make the assembly a breeze… at least, in theory.
I was going for the hang on back installation. The unit is fixed to the back of the tank by 2 plastic screws. The pump has to be set between 3 to 4 inches below the water line. In order to do that, you have to cut a piece of flexible tubing and connect it to the intake of the unit and the outlet of the pump. First, the tube is very hard to insert in both the unit and the pump. Secondly, prepare yourself for a lot of “hands in the water” time, fiddling with the tube in order to achieve the desired height on the pump. Furthermore, the pump doesn’t have ANY means of securing it to the tank wall. No suction cups, nothing. It just hangs in the tank by the tube. Also, the pump is bulky and since it is placed so close to the outlet of the unit, it’s very hard to conceal.
The outlet of the unit is sent to a “filter” box that is “fixed” to the tank wall by a plastic insert with only one tiny plastic screw. Since only one screw is provided, the box is rather unstable and shifts left and right. The box is fitted with a white pad that goes at the bottom of the box and a fairly large black sponge that is supposed to retain the micro-bubbles exhausted from the unit. The sponge has a hole in it to receive the outlet tube. Unfortunately, the hole is way too large and the tube fits very loosely in the sponge. Furthermore, the box has to be set a quarter ( ¼ ) inch above the water line. Needless to say that such a precise adjustment is hard to achieve with only a single screw to hold the whole thing in place. As if that was not enough, the tube has to be 1” above the white pad. Since the box is not transparent, you kind of have to feel your measures and cut small pieces of tube at a time in order to achieve a very “approximate” fit.
After turning the unit on, be prepared for a festival of micro-bubbles in the tank. The return box is completely ineffective and is a worthless piece of plastic. Not knowing that beforehand, you can not return the unit since you have cut the return tube which is way to long to start with unless you have like your water line 3” below the top of your tank.
Conclusion
The unit is not really built for a HOB application. My skimmer is now in pieces and waiting for the sump to be in place before I can use it. For falsely advertising their product as being a HOB unit, for their cheap and not working return box, I give this unit a poor 4 out of 10.

sharkbait9

Well every one has a right to their own opinion. My opinion is, I like the css. I feel I get the most “bang” for the buck out of it.

teen

mine works perfect. it was super easy to install and maintain, no problems ever. the guy who wrote this review sounds like he was just looking for stuff to complain about. and my filter box releases no micro bubbles at all.
imo, this was a very poor review. i give it a 9 out of ten only because i have a lot of evaporation in my tank, so i have to adjust the micro bubbles when i add my top off water.
and i use this as a hang on back unit also, so its not false advertising. i guess this guy just isnt to bright.

aw2eod

I have the 220 hanging on my 90gal and absolutely love it...it skims like a champ!
As long as I have tanks to run these skimmers on, they're what I'll use.
I took off the return box and hard plumbed the return with 1.5" PVC and it works fantastic.

saltwater8

Alright, help me out here....

What about these comments:
Furthermore, the pump doesn’t have ANY means of securing it to the tank wall. No suction cups, nothing. It just hangs in the tank by the tube.
Also, the pump is bulky and since it is placed so close to the outlet of the unit, it’s very hard to conceal.
The outlet of the unit is sent to a “filter” box that is “fixed” to the tank wall by a plastic insert with only one tiny plastic screw. Since only one screw is provided, the box is rather unstable and shifts left and right.
The sponge has a hole in it to receive the outlet tube. Unfortunately, the hole is way too large and the tube fits very loosely in the sponge.

Thanks for all of your help!

teen

Originally Posted by Saltwater8

Furthermore, the pump doesn’t have ANY means of securing it to the tank wall. No suction cups, nothing. It just hangs in the tank by the tube.
Also, the pump is bulky and since it is placed so close to the outlet of the unit, it’s very hard to conceal.
The outlet of the unit is sent to a “filter” box that is “fixed” to the tank wall by a plastic insert with only one tiny plastic screw. Since only one screw is provided, the box is rather unstable and shifts left and right.
The sponge has a hole in it to receive the outlet tube. Unfortunately, the hole is way too large and the tube fits very loosely in the sponge.

1- no, theres no suction cups, but the pump just kinda hangs there which imo, is not a problem.
2- the pump is a tiny bit bigger then most power heads.
3- if you make it snug, it doesnt move. anyone can figure this out with a little bit of thinking
4- why does the outlet tube need to be snug?
somthing tells me this guy knows nothing about protein skimmers or any of his equipment.
also, this is the perfect skimmer for a refugium or sump, imo it will not look pretty inside your display tank, or hanging on your display tank.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by teen
1- no, theres no suction cups, but the pump just kinda hangs there which imo, is not a problem.
2- the pump is a tiny bit bigger then most power heads.
3- if you make it snug, it doesnt move. anyone can figure this out with a little bit of thinking
4- why does the outlet tube need to be snug?
somthing tells me this guy knows nothing about protein skimmers or any of his equipment.
also, this is the perfect skimmer for a refugium or sump, imo it will not look pretty inside your display tank, or hanging on your display tank.

I have to agree. This review sounds a little biased IMO. To many users have stated time and time again just how much action you get for such a cheap price. I have mine sitting in my sumps and have used them as a hang on. Yes I’ll agree that the bubble diffuser and pump are a little big. As a hob skimmer yeah, it’s not exactly pleasing to the viewer. Maybe it’s better suited for a sump, but works just the same. Plus it gives the user two choices where as some of the higher end models only have one way usage. Pretty much all skimmers have a break in period yada yada yada. All in all it removes the nastiest blackest/green slime that could ever be pulled out of water. So for what its worth it a great product at a great price and this review sounds like a ploy to slow sales on it. If your looking for a “yes get it” answer, you now got it. Yes go get the css and enjoy the sludge it pulls from tank.

chipmaker

Well it sounds that whoever wrote that article was a bit inept at installing or really comprehending how a skimmer works.
Originally Posted by Saltwater8
1. Furthermore, the pump doesn’t have ANY means of securing it to the tank wall. No suction cups, nothing. It just hangs in the tank by the tube.
No need for suctino cups or brackets etc. The waay the pump is mounted is simple and effective and works just fine. Perhaps more brackets and sucktion cups would give folks a feeling of security?
2..Also, the pump is bulky and since it is placed so close to the outlet of the unit, it’s very hard to conceal.
Not really. it may look large in a small tank like say a 10 opr 15 gal but in a 29 or larger its fine. IMHO the bubble diffuser looks worse.
3..The outlet of the unit is sent to a “filter” box that is “fixed” to the tank wall by a plastic insert with only one tiny plastic screw. Since only one screw is provided, the box is rather unstable and shifts left and right.
Well this statement once again proves that who r=wrote this article doe snot have a clue what is what. Its not a filter box its a bubble diffuser box, and if the skimmer is adjust properly you can actually eliminate this box. I do not use any boxes and do not have micxro bubbles either.
4. The sponge has a hole in it to receive the outlet tube. Unfortunately, the hole is way too large and the tube fits very loosely in the sponge.
So ........the hole size does not really matter as there is no need to put anything that fits snug nto the hole anyhowl.....yet more statements by whoever wrote the article that does not have a lcue what they are spouting off about.

theappe

i must agree that the pump is a wee big. i have it and i couldnt HOB because the powerhead takes up my tank. (i have a 30g) So if anyone is interested in buying it PM me :)