Coraline algae

thud

How long after cycling should one expect to start seeing coralline algae on tank walls and live rock?

renogaw

i've seen some pics with absolutely no coralline on it. if you don't have it on your rocks, you may never get it.

reefforbrains

its not spontanious, you need to introduce it. Try getting a small peice from someone and scrapping off the coraline and making it into a purple slurpy. then just add it to the tank. it wil begin to grow almost immediatly after introduced as long as levels kept in check.

renogaw

yup. i was thinking about this also, i have a small piece of rubble rock that is completely covered in pinkish purple coralline. let me know if you want it :)

thud

Originally Posted by renogaw
yup. i was thinking about this also, i have a small piece of rubble rock that is completely covered in pinkish purple coralline. let me know if you want it :)
Got a pic of it? Got Paypal? How much? ;)
I want coralline very badly.

renogaw

Originally Posted by thud
Got a pic of it? Got Paypal? How much? ;)
I want coralline very badly.
no paypal, no money needed other than to cover shipping, but you do need to let me know what your avatar is and where you're located.
its about 1-1.5 inches long.

renogaw

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
careful for what you wish for...................
hehe, i only wish it wasnt on the front of my tank. i actually like it, although its tough to work with to glue frags onto.

thud

hehe, i only wish it wasnt on the front of my tank. i actually like it, although its tough to work with to glue frags onto.
I am in New York.
What amount do you need for shipping?

renogaw

no clue, but i'm in CT so its one day ups there, so less than 10 i'd say probably more like 5. gimme an email at mjwag1975 at cox.net with your address. I'll put it in ups today and you can just send a check once it gets there.

thud

no clue, but i'm in CT so its one day ups there, so less than 10 i'd say probably more like 5. gimme an email at mjwag1975 at cox.net with your address. I'll put it in ups today and you can just send a check once it gets there.
Ive emailed you.
Thanks.

xokarmaxo

but you do need to let me know what your avatar is
I agree! I wanna know what it is too! :jumping:

stanlalee

All you need to do is buy decent quality liverock with some coralline on it, keep your calcium and alk within reef tank standards, reef type lighting and wait. I cant speak for anyone else but on a reef tank in about 3 months it starts showing on the powerheads, overflow ect and somewhere about the 6 month mark you wake up one day and have a purple and pink tank. Generally you have to at least wait for the diatom and nuisance algae stages to stabilize and reach a predictable state. If you are still having any kinds of algae blooms or you have to clean the glass two times one week and 5 times another the tank isn't ready yet.

doahh

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
thats a Rhinoccellaris clownfish......

LOL Man I gotta use that at the LFS...
"How much do you charge for a Rhinoccellaris clownfish"