coraline out of control!!

jenni620

I have this stuff ALL OVER my glass...I mean it is EVERYWHERE!!! It's hard to see the inside of my tank!! Why is it growing on my glass so fast, and how can I get it to go away?
I scraped some off with a credit card, but that didn't work too well. Does the LFS sell some kind of scraper that won't hurt my glass?

scotts

Yes the LFS sells something that you can use to srape your glass with, or you can go to the hardwares store and get something for half the price. It is a razor blade scraper. They sell all kinds but mine is a little plastic one that is angled just right and it is easy to change the blades on. However here is the important part, you need to get yourself a pack of extra baldes. The sharper the blade the better. It will cut better and there is less chance of scratching your glass. I only use a blade once in the water, the use it for other things around the house.
This is assuming you have a glass tank, if you have acrylic then I apologize for the minute of your time I just wasted.

m0nk

Basically you just need to upkeep the cleaning of your tank. I bought a $3 scrubber on a 2 foot wand at Walmart and it works on both glass and acrylic and I scrub both my tanks once every couple days.

larryndana

Originally Posted by jenni620
Does the LFS sell some kind of scraper that won't hurt my glass?
Yes. They should have something, just remember to tell them glass or acrylic.

jenni620

thanks everyone! yes, i do use a mag float, but i really don't have a problem with regular algae, just the coraline, and the mag won't get rid of it no matter how many times i go over it. i guess i will just go buy a scraper. i wish this stuff grew on my rocks as fast as it does on my glass!

reefkprz

I use a razor blade on my Glass, if you dont trust that not to scrape your glass try a credit card, saves money on buying a scraper. (I know almost all us reefers have at least one maxed out credit card lying around thats about as usefull as a pile of dog poo) might as well get some use out of it.

weberian

I never wanted to spend the money, but I did and I love my Kent pro scraper with stainless steel blade. Keeps your "clean" hands out of the tank water.