Coralline algae and salt

celbrise

i read that coralline algae is like stony corals and so i assumed if i switch to reef crystal salt it would basically give the tank everything it needs to grow the coralline without dousing other chemicals. I was also wondering is it possible to grow coralline algae without scrubbing existing algae off like if i just put it in a tank and let it go will it spread on it's own or is scrapping a must to release spores. What is a good item to use to scrap off the algae? i have a rock encrusted with it was thinking a tooth brush but not sure if that would even work.

snakeblitz33

Salt quality has a little to do with it, but keeping your parameters stable,.. Such as low phosphate, low nitrate, stable pH, stable temperature, low dissolved solids, and calcium alkalinity and magnesium levels close to natural sea water, it will grow without it being scrubbed. Scrubbing it does not guaranty growth, only time and proper parameters and lighting do.

What are your current parameters? What do you dose? What test kit do you use? What lights do you have?

celbrise

my parameters i don't know what they are haven't tested in months last time i tested they were fine but one was way off ( i assume it was botched as it was a strip test kit and old ). going to be buying a new test kit tomorrow. have been only testing my salinity otherwise. also bought an RO/DI filter hopefully that can help get my parameters better when i do a water change this weekend as it comes in tomorrow or thursday.

i don't dose with anything i just read somewhere that many people dose with this calcium suppliment.

lighting system im using is a coralife aqualight t5 h.o. dual.

test kit im buying one tomorrow but won't be testing until after i do my water change this weekend and will fix my parameters. it's the master kit by API the liquid ones.

other then that im not trying to grow my coralline algae atm but because im fixing my parameters soon i will be growing it. i will likely be posting my parameters and another question in this section on it in during the weekend

i am surprised it didn't die out i've have this rock encrusted with it for many months now still going strong. i think my parameters are really fk'd though i've had fish slowly die off one by one over the year and one just died today. not sure if parameters atm or just a certain fish i suspect is bullying the weaker ones. it's a bursa trigger. might have to give it a new home soon if it persists.

celbrise

i have a 900gph power head in my 55gal tank would that be suffiecient enough? i just bought a 700gph one not too long ago and was looking at buying this used 950gph-3500gph wave maker from someone but money is kind of tight atm and i need to get my parameters fixed rather then buy another power head

bang guy

From a coralline perspective only - the more the better. If you point your powerhead directly at the glass that will be the first spot to grow coralline usually.

celbrise

how does it exactly spread if i do not scrap it off? and will it spread even if my filter is on. i don't have a skimmer on this tank just power heads and cannister filter. i do have lightings rated for coral use ( don't think they are very good lighting though ).