Correct size sump for 120 gallon tank?

johnnyreb

I've got a few smaller tanks left over from my angel fish breeding days and I thought I would look into building my own sump. The plans I've seen look simple enough. I have two 20T and two 30T tanks. A buddy of mine seems to think a 20 would be big enough but I don't think it could hurt to go on up to a 30. The only other concern is, will these tanks be too tall to allow for adequate sizing on the individual chambers within the sump. All of the DIY sumps I've seem have used regular height tanks, not tall. I'm currently running two Fuval 404's for filtration. If I get my sump built and an overflow box, is there any reason why I couldn't use one or both of these as the return pump? I'm thinking just run hose from the return side of the sump to the input side of the fluval then of course the output side back to the tank?
Thanks
David

jdl

the correct size sump is whatever you can fit into your area, but the bigger the better. I am using a 50g, but may upgrade to a 100g sump. I also have a 27g only for my skimmer. All of this for only a 120g tank.
you could drill your 20's and 30s and connect them together to get a longer setup and more volume.

johnnyreb

You know, I had thought of doing just that, drilling the tanks and interconnecting them for more volume. GMTA I reckon! I don't want to use up all of the available space under my cabinet though. I would like to keep a little space to store supplies etc. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

crypt keeper

I also know a lot more people who have sumps smaller than the size of their DT and they work perfect and their tanks are amazing. Whats your point?

johnnyreb

Ok, so let's say I decide to use 2 20's I'm assuming they would need to be drilled and attached with something like a bulkhead connector? What diameter connector would I need to avoid a bottleneck effect?

florida joe

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3022081
I also know a lot more people who have sumps smaller than the size of their DT and they work perfect and their tanks are amazing. Whats your point?
I thought my point was obvious. I guess not. IMO the hobbyist can never have to big a sump/refug. The physical size of which may not add to their bio filter but by the shear added water volume they increase their margin for error in proportion to the added gallons

scrombus2

I agree that the biggest sump possible is the best way to go.
As for connecting two tanks with bulkheads, you only need to exceed the capacity of your overflow. I. E. if your overflow is running on say a 1-1/4" inch drain, then use a 1-1/2" bulk.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3022645
I thought my point was obvious. I guess not. IMO the hobbyist can never have to big a sump/refug. The physical size of which may not add to their bio filter but by the shear added water volume they increase their margin for error in proportion to the added gallons
I understood your point. I just made my own. Most people dont have enough room for a 100 gallon tank under or near their main tank. Most people have what they have under their stand they bought with the tank.

florida joe

Whats your point?
does this statment mean you do not understand my point.

And is it not understood that the biggest sum/refug you can have the better