Could my open brain have eaten my bangaii???

cyn

Help me out here, I have a mysterious death. I added 4 bengaii cardinals to my tank on monday. Everything was great when I went to bed last night around midnight. I got up at 5am and one of the little guys was very dead. No torn fins, spots or anything except a huge gob of slime all around him. The other 3 are fine tonight. Water tests this am: SG 1.022, temp 78, Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite negative, phos. neg as well. I am stumped and am wondering if my open brain could be the culprit? Everything ate lastnight, the cards and brain included. HELP! If you need more specs, just ask.
thanks,
cyn

No, your brain coral did not eat the cardinal. The only way he may have eaten it is if it was dead landed on the brains mouth, and was small enough for the brain to ingest. When you purchased the fish did you inspect them thoroughly? The film is probably just from the body beginning to decay.

pibulljc

i dont think the brain could of done it my guess is the fish got sick and may have landed on it i have a quest. do u like the hippo tang or the yellow (as far as hardiest)

cyn

Yes, I inspected all 4 before I bought them. No spots, torn fins or loose scales, nice clear eyes, crisp color and they ate well too. I picked them out of a school of about 10. The other 3 are still fine, so I am perplexed. I could understand some slime, but there was about 1/2 a cup, more like a jellyfish consistancy.
As far as the tangs go, they don't do much for me, but thanks for the pointer.
Humm..I guess I will chalk it up to a mystery and sit and watch for a while. :(
cyn