CPR bak-pak vs. AquaC Remora

lillylegs

hi everybody!
i have a 42 gallon hex with 40 lbs LR and 40 lbs LS. i am 1 month into starting up a reef aquarium and am using an emporer bio-wheel for filtration. i am in the market for a protein skimmer so i can ditch the bio-wheel and have narrowed it down to these two (i need a hang-on b/c of space on a hex.) what do you guys think is the better skimmer? i've heard good things about both but can't decide.
thanks for you input, lillylegs
what do you guys think is the better skimmer?

lillylegs

well, my reasoning is that b/c of the sufficient biological filtration by the LR and LS, i can throw out the bio-wheel and just use powerheads for circulation. in which case i would need a fantastic skimmer. they are pretty close in price compared to the cheaper Prizm and more expensive Red Sea Berlin, so i figured i wouldn't skimp on this. i have to say this decision has ben my most difficult struggle in all my years as a hobbyist (though FW). i want something quiet and efficient and easy to maintain, etc...

nm reef

I have no experience with the remora...but I have heard good things about them. I do use a CPR bacpac2r....it is a good skimmer for up to 55 gal systems. Plus I've found that they back up and support the products they sell. In my opinion the CPR is a quality product with top notch customer support...a rare combination!! :cool:

cyn

I also have the CPR on my 55. I was concidering the Remora, but decided that it was too much skimmer for a 55 gal. The CPR is working great. I am in the process of removing the bio bale that it came with and letting macro alge grow where the bale used to be. I have a small flo. 'trouble' light on the return side of the CPR for the alge, and it is growing like gangbusters!
HTH,
cyn

bonolover

Hey Cyn, could you elaborate on your plans. I've also got the CPR and I have a Eheim 2213 on my 20 gal. I wanted a protein skimmer but didn't think I needed that extra filtration that the CPR comes with since I have the Eheim and LR and LS. So what exactly are you planning to put in the area that currently has the bio-bale in it? I'm really curious about this. Thanks.

don-9

I don't have either, but I do have the sump version of the remora (Urchin). I think it's a great skimmer easy to set up, quiet and low maintenance. If you do buy the remora, you can get it with a rio or for a few dollars more you can get a maxi-jet. Spend a little extra and get maxi-jet. I bought the urchin when it was new on the market and it did not have the access hole to clean the nozzle like the newer one do. I contacted Aqua C. I was very impressed with their quick response and help. They sent me the screw and cleaning brush and an email telling me the tap and drill sizes and instuctions on how to do the modification myself. Great company making great products.

lillylegs

hey everybody,
Thanks for all your replys. I decided to go with the AquaC Remora hang-on. I bought the one with the maxi-jet instead of the rio pump (its quieter). I also bought the pre-skimmer/over-flow box. I think that its big enough to put a carbon filter in there, but i'll have to see when i get it. Hopefully I'll get it in a few days! I'll let you know how it works next week.
lillylegs

frankl15207

The CPR never made it out of the box for me because the return tube was too large for the back of my old tank. It also uses a Rio pump with no upgrade option and I won't use Rios. Too many of them have quit on me for absolutely no reason at all.
The Remora with the Maxijet upgrade works really well once it settles down (A week or two). Easily adjustable height on the collection cup to get just the right amount of skimming. I would add caution with the surface skimmer / bubble trap. It's an odd screw mount onto the pump with all of the weight (2.5 lbs) being supported at that end. You may want to add some extra support to keep it from pulling the powerhead off (instant fountain). Their president says it won't happen but it did multiple times.
If I set up another tank, I will most likely put the CPR on it because I already have it, but if I were forced to buy a new skimmer, I would go with the AquaC again.

lillylegs

i got my remora in the mail yesterday! its foaming and bubbling like crazy. also, the chambe ris filling up with water. i put some marine pro-tech coat in about a month ago so i think its reacting to that. i'm going to do a 50% water change with RO water today. well so far, i like that its very skinny, doesn't take up much space, and fairly quiet with the maxi-jet pump. i also bought the pre-skimmer but haven't attached that yet. we'll see if it quits making all that foam after the water change. i hope it works!

frankl15207

Raise the collection cup height (Move the black band down on the cup). Take it up as high as you need to for the foam to form on top without it bubbling over. Something that you added a month ago shouldn't still have that much presence in the tank.
The surface skimmer will also help reduce excess foaming until the skimmer breaks in. Once it's broken in, the sludge in the cup will be almost pure black.