Cycle complete

saltyscott

So my cycle is complete on my 125g with 160lbs dead rock and 20lbs live. My skimmer should arrive tomorrow and I was wondering if I can now add the CUC or should I skim for a while before adding them? Thanks for your help!

deejeff442

the tank has nothing to skim yet. unless there is some algae growing in the tank the cuc has nothing to eat. i would put a couple fish in first.once the tank grows some algae add a cuc.

saltyscott

Thanks, and makes sense. My stock list is 2 clowns, yellow tang, 3 green chromis, flame angel, blue tang. Any advice on what order to add them in?

deejeff442

personally i have run tanks for around 28 years.probably had a skimmer for 5 of them.if you are not stocking heavy i wouldnt bother.just alot of lr and flow plus regular water changes.but if you have one coming go right ahead and use it.unless you have experience i would not do the flame angel for a while at least a year.they are a tough fish to keep.i would definitly do the clowns first.they are a tough fish and always a good starter.tangs last and put in at the same time.

acrylic51

Tons of LR has nothing to do with the equation of not running a skimmer......I can pile a ton of rock in the DT and means what??????

snakeblitz33

Many ways to skin a cat...
I'm personally enjoying the bonsai inspired reefs on the other big forum. Not a whole lot of live rock... it makes the tank look bigger than what it is. It used to be that you had to slam your tank full of live rock to get enough benthic creatures and anaerobic zones to keep your tank cycling to the max - but these days with the development of DSB refugiums for benthic and anaerobic zones as well as powerful protein skimmers for excess particulate and dissolved organic matter removal - the amount of live rock needed these days is becoming more and more debated.
Some tanks these days are completely started with base rock only... and are kept as successful SPS dominated reef tanks. How would you explain that?
In my PERSONAL reefkeeping theory and opinion, A tank can have as much or as little live rock as the aquarist PREFERS in his display tank. If the tank looks good with more rock to the aquarist - go for it. If the tank should be set up bonsai - go for it. With the development of technology and equipment such as skimmers,macroalgae and benthic zone refugiums, remote deep sand beds, and even artificial mechanical and biological filtration systems - the amount of live rock needed now is ... moot. Kind of like how LED's make the "watt per gallon" rule extinct.

pepito113

I would recommend running a skimmer.. I didnt have one on my last tank and it was fine. I did alot of water changes to keep my numbers in a good range... On my new tank I put a skimmer. And All I have to say I would not have a tank without one. My skimmer removes all kinds of nasty stuff.