Cycle is almost done?

M

mikebbass

OK I started badly and added fish (lots) before my cycle finished and it ended badly. Since then I have been leaving my tank alone to let the cycle finish. I have a 50 Gallon Saltwater, with 80lbs of live sand and 50 lbs of live rock. Ammonia, and Nitrite are at 0 but Nitrate is at 40PPM. I have read tons of posts and forums but they dont seem to agree. Some say water changes are required for reducing Nitrates, others say the deep sand bed should take care of that. Am I supposed to do water changes now?
Thanks
Mike

bang guy

You'll get conflicting opinions on most things in this hobby. It doesn't mean any answer is right or wrong, it's still more art than science although the pendulum is swinging into the science direction for sure.
My opinion is that a large water change is a good thing right now and regular water changes in the future. If you have a live deep sand bed then yes, it will remove nitrates as will any high quality live rock that has not been exposed to high ammonia levels.
I would advise starting to ghost feed the tank every day to feed the bacteria and stabilize their populations.
Keep reading. :)

M

mikebbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/389358/cycle-is-almost-done#post_3440805
You'll get conflicting opinions on most things in this hobby. It doesn't mean any answer is right or wrong, it's still more art than science although the pendulum is swinging into the science direction for sure.
My opinion is that a large water change is a good thing right now and regular water changes in the future. If you have a live deep sand bed then yes, it will remove nitrates as will any high quality live rock that has not been exposed to high ammonia levels.
I would advise starting to ghost feed the tank every day to feed the bacteria and stabilize their populations.
Keep reading. :)
Now I need to go look up "ghost feeding"
PS I like your signature.

reeferchief

I agree with Bang, lots of conflicting answers when it comes to this hobby. 40ppm nitrates is not great but it's also not horrible. Several months ago (months after original cycle) My nitrates spiked to the point it was blood red instantly on a test kit. About a month and half of big 33%-50% water changes took care of this problem. Fish can live in 40ppm. If your cycle is completing you may be able to add some good starter fish like chromis. They are cheap and fairly hardy, this can be an option also and regular feeding of these fish will do the same as ghost feeding. This is all up to you though. Would I add fish now? probably.... depending on water test but ghost feeding is also a good practice too!
By the way here is some good beginer advice. once you perform water change, stick to a shcedule and do these water changes (25%-33%) weekly or every 2 weeks at minimum. You will be amazed how quick coraline and corals will take off growing.