Cycling with damsels?

btrs

Why do you have to cycle with damsels, and not clownfish or another fish? Also, why does everyone hate damsels? And what exactly is cycling, what purpose does it serve? Thanks.

mohawkninja

First off, I would do some research on this subject, read some books.
Cycling a tank is the establishing of bacteria in the tank that break down toxic ammonium in fish waste into nitrites, then nitrates. People usually don't cycle with damels actually, because it subjects the damsels to stress from the ammonia and nitrite. What you really want to do it a fishless cycle. Put your live rock in your tank (if you have any), then put a raw table shrimp in your tank. Measure the levels of Ammonia,Nitrite, and Nitrate until the Ammonia is at 0, and the nitrites are at 0. The nitrates will probably be between 0-10 ppm. do a partial water change, then wait until the Ammonia is at 0, and the nitrites are at 0. Do another water change and your done! Then you can start to add your CUC. I would wait about 1 week of monitoring before you add any fish. If I were you I wouldn't waste your money on "bacteria in a bottle" because all of the bacteria is in the live rock. If you have questions just reply
-mohawkninja

btrs

Thanks Mohawk. Whats CUC? Also, I won't use damsels to cycle, but I'm just wondering, why damsels? Why not clownfish, tangs, or super cheap feeder fish?

mohawkninja

I clean up crew (CUC) is a mix of snails,crabs,and shrimp that eat algae and extra food off of your sand, rock and glass. A CUC isn't super necessary, but it reduces the amount of work you have to do. People use damsels to cycle because they are cheap (unlike a lot of SW fish) , and they dont die very easily. The problem with damsels is as they get older they get extremely mean and basically beat up everything they see. Also just telling you feeder fish are freshwater goldfish, not saltwater fish.
-mohawkninja

spongeycrab

A CUC is a "clean up crew" (video below) clownfish are much more sensitive than damsels and tangs are MUCH, MUCH more sensitive. What feeder fish are you referring to? I've never seen SW feeder fish.
[VIDEO]http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=fiYSG2hrbeg#[/VIDEO]

mohawkninja

Quote:Originally Posted by Spongeycrab http:///t/395615/cycling-with-damsels#post_3522480
A CUC is a "clean up crew" (video below) clownfish are much more sensitive than damsels and tangs are MUCH, MUCH more sensitive. What feeder fish are you referring to? I've never seen SW feeder fish.

I don't think that he knew that feeders were FW, because he must have read about people feeding them to their lions... idk though. Clowns aren't that much more sensitive than damsels, clowns are technically damsels . If you cycled your tank with a tang... well then you aren't going to get done with your cycle. IMO fishless is the way to go.

spongeycrab

I don't think that he knew that feeders were FW, because he must have read about people feeding them to their lions... idk though. Clowns aren't that much more sensitive than damsels, clowns are technically damsels . If you cycled your tank with a tang... well then you aren't going to get done with your cycle. IMO fishless is the way to go.that's true.

btrs

Well, actually you can cycle with tangs, cause when they die they will be like a cocktail shrimp, but that's extremely cruel. Is it okay to feed SW fish FW fish? And whats the hardiest fish out their? Also, yes, I've seen MANY saltwater feeder fish. I can't believe you havnt!

mohawkninja

So what your saying is your going to put a $30-40 fish in a tank just to have it die and foul your water to oblivion, and yes you would have to remove it. I'm starting to think you are a troll becuase one of your previous threads said you were building a shark tank. If you are this new to the hobby start with something like a FOWLR and dont jump to a specialty tank like a shark tank. The hardiest fish out there is probably a damsel, but I generally would recommend a school of Green Chromis, or a pair of Ocellaris Clowns for you first fish simply because they wont terrorize new inhabitants. In response to "saltwater feeder fish" I have never seen them. I have seen plenty of fish you could feed your fish, and then there are silversides, but I have never seen a cheap, live fish that are meant to be fed. If you have a link to it I would be happy to see.

spongeycrab

Well, actually you can cycle with tangs, cause when they die they will be like a cocktail shrimp, but that's extremely cruel. Is it okay to feed SW fish FW fish? And whats the hardiest fish out their? Also, yes, I've seen MANY saltwater feeder fish. I can't believe you havnt! it's advisable to not feed SW fish FW fish becuase they're very fatty and that can cause heart problems for the fish. Damsels are the hardiest fish but as said before they're evil. And what do these SW feeder fish look like? Also if you need stocking watch this video.
[VIDEO]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTsuI1Sjyw#[/VIDEO]

btrs

What do you mean damsels are evil? And Mohawk, for saltwaer feeders its mostly silverskdes from my LFS

spongeycrab

What do you mean damsels are evil? And Mohawk, for saltwaer feeders its mostly silverskdes from my LFS
Damsels are EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE.

mohawkninja

Damsels terrorize your tank when they get older, they will attack and kill any new addition, and they will bite your hand drawing blood. I'm surprised LFS has live silversides, where are you?

mohawkninja

You must have a nice LFS. I don't
. Well if you can get live silversides, feed them by all means. I don't live in Canada, so I don't know the LFS situation there. I do know that there are really not that many good LFS in Ohio :(