Damaged in Shipment

Luvthekeys

Do not know yet I told him 35 to 50ish. We will see I am going to take a ride to see him tomorrow if I feel well enough. His store is about 25 miles away not that far for a good reef store. He is on the web EcoReef Corals Venice Florida. I will see what he comes up with he mentioned three manufacturers and I gave him a rough estimate as to what I wanted to spend. I had a drilled 110 gallon a few years back with African Cichlids so I have some experience with sumps. However that was fresh water a whole different game so to speak.He did mention the tank would most likely have a center overflow. Not too familiar with what that would entail. I am leaning towards LED lights, are they that much more expensive and is it worth the extra expense? Also what are the benefits of a rimless tank besides it looks nicer?

pegasus

Probably an overflow box inside the tank in the center. LED's can be as expensive as you let them be. I have done extensive research, and I haven't found an LED fixture that would fit my needs as well as fit in my budget. I have several SPS corals that need fairly strong lighting in the proper wavelengths, and to rig up my 6' tank with quality LED's that would meet those needs will easily set me back $1K+. I opted for the higher cost of operation, yet tried-and-true T5 HO lighting. I have less than $300 in my lighting, and that includes 6 top-of-the-line bulbs. There are lots of LED manufacturers out there that offer "full spectrum" lighting, but since QC isn't very strict on a lot of these manufacturers (can we say Chinese?), so there's no telling how much of each wavelength is actually usable by corals. If you want something just to add "visible light" to your tank, these are okay. I don't trust any of them... other than the premium fixtures from top manufacturers. Since they use the highest quality components in high-tech facilities, those come with a hefty price tag. I can replace a lot of bulbs for that kind of money. Just my 2c...

If the tank is going to be open on top, a rimless tank does have a much better look to it. If you plan to use a canopy, either type (rimmed or rimless) will suffice. Open or covered tanks are owner preferences. Both my tanks have canopies. I like them because they match the tank stand, and they cover the lights. Mine actually holds the lights. I think the best reason I like them is because it prevents light from spilling into the room. My wife and I prefer subdued lighting, especially in the evening when we're trying to relax and watch TV, and they definitely help. The glow from the tank is very tolerable...

lmforbis

Lighting is an area where there are a lot of opinions. Cost, heat produced, how the tank looks as well as what you want to keep in the tank are factors in deciding what lighting is right for you. Unlike Pegasus, I am an LED person. I use Kessil a160we. American made by an optics company. They are well made, controlable and the light is extremely natural looking. Mine are not strong enough for an anemone or really high light corals mostly because I have only two, when I get two more I will have more options as to what I can keep under them. They do LPS really well. I have a 40 gallon breeder I am using for Quarantine now that I plan to convert to a clownfish/anemone tank in the future. I'll need the really strong lights for that.

pegasus

Lighting is an area where there are a lot of opinions. Cost, heat produced, how the tank looks as well as what you want to keep in the tank are factors in deciding what lighting is right for you. Unlike Pegasus, I am an LED person. I use Kessil a160we. American made by an optics company. They are well made, controlable and the light is extremely natural looking. Mine are not strong enough for an anemone or really high light corals mostly because I have only two, when I get two more I will have more options as to what I can keep under them. They do LPS really well. I have a 40 gallon breeder I am using for Quarantine now that I plan to convert to a clownfish/anemone tank in the future. I'll need the really strong lights for that.
I'm not against LED, by any means. I've looked at Kessils for quite some time, but I would need a minimum of 3x A360W to replace what I'm currently using. At $400 each, that's a big chunk of change in my books. If I had the option (meaning $$$), I'd invest in TRITON LANI LED. It's the latest rage in Europe, and working it's way into the US market.

PS: Kessil is one of the top manufacturers... :p

Last edited:

celbrise

although i have never bought a tank online i have purchased from drfostersmith before. never had any issues with broken items although i recently bought an ro/di unit from them and the box came all beat up look like it was neglected badly i was afraid it wouldn't hold well but inside they had some heavy duty foam ( type they use for like construction purposes. ). i would never risk buying a tank online because i've seen people here usps and fedex just toss the boxes like it was nothing. most are good and handle them with care but then theirs always that one person that just looks like he hates his job.