damn

no1odie

woke up yesterday and everything was fine. Did my weekly task on the tank, i.e. cleaning filters and water changes, cleaning glass that the snails didn't get and then fed every one. Every one was doing fine and then about 3 in the afternnon noticwed my tang had died. no visible signs of anything wrong, water parimeters are good, so i have no explanation of why this happened. the kids are really upset as this was there favorite fish. this really sucks because I can't find a explanation of why this happened.

J

jason490

Well the most probable cause is the following.
Did you use cholorine killer in the new water?
Did you use any type of latex glove or anything when you were cleaning?
Any soap on the thing you used to clean the sides?
Things like that are the most likely culprit.

no1odie

it was a yellow tang, and yes i used some chlorine killer when i added new water but i also use ro water only. and my hands never got in the tank, have long handled sponge to clean glass with, so i never have to touch the water with my bare skin.

firefish9

Mine died like that from a swim bladder infection. Did it Not swim as fast as it did when it was healty and did it swim near the bottem of the tank.

ophiura

How old is the tank?
How long have you had the tang?
What are your specific tank parameters?
What are your other inhabitants?

no1odie

the tang has been here for a month, she was in a 55g tank, all parimeters are good,i.e. zero as as close to zero as i can tell(i hate these color charts). I have three damsel of assorted species, one pseudo chromis, a lawn mower blenny, a sand sifting goby, and a bi-color angel. And a group of crabs, blue legged, red legged and one purple lobster

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Tangs need at least 6 feet of swimming room so stress might have been a factor.
ya, alot of tangs die from stress

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Tangs need at least 6 feet of swimming room so stress might have been a factor.
i doubt it... most people don't buy a full grown 8 incher, my guess is the tang was about 4 inches, so a 55 would be fine... but just to make sure,
no1odie, how big was the tang?

30-xtra high

woohoo! i got length right!, but my point is proven, the tank size was not its reaon of death., there is an underlying reason.