Damsels for the Display

anjiro

So my wife and I were talking about what fish we were going to add when we get our new tank. I took her to an lfs and we looked at what they carried and I told what could and couldnt go depending on tank size etc. Then tank we plan to do is a 29. She wants to do Yellowtail Damsels more than any other fish. I know these guys can be hyper aggressive. I was wondering if we could keep them with an array of peaceful fish. I read that you can with a group of 3 or more sticking to odd numbers. What do you all think?

it's chuck

As far as Yellowtails go they are not as bad as many of the other damsels. I depends what else you are thinking of keeping with them, what you consider peaceful? If I were to build a stocklist for a 29 with a yellowtail damsel in it it would look something like this.
Yellow Damsel
Bicolor Blenny or one of the watchman or shrimp goby's with a pistol shrimp
Royal Gramma
Springer's Peusdochromis
CoralBanded Shrimp
Fire Shrimp
I would only probably only get one of the shrimp if you do the pistol goby pair

anjiro

Well as for a stock list, I'm moving fish from a few different tanks for this one. I was going to put
Lantern basslet
Dragon Goby
Yellow Damsel x 2
Dwarf blue yellow head angel
Plus varous other inverts, the basslet and the goby are coming out of a tank at my parents house, they want to break it down and do fresh water. So those guys are coming to live with me...
Down side to that is, no shrimp, the basslet likes snacks......