Dangerous Nitrate Spark Again?! Please help!

alec106

Once again my nitrate level is at 160 ppm. My miniatus grouper is losing his color and laying on the ground like hes having a hard time breathing and my snowflake eel is having minor convulsions. I don't know what to do?!?! I have no quarantine tank available for them at the moment. And I don't understand what is causing this. EVERYTHING ELSE is normal, but the nitrates are through the roof. I cleaned the filter, wiped all the algae off the glass, and added the appropriate dosage of Amquel for a 30 gallon tank. I need help, and quick!! This all started last week when we got a new bucket of water form the LFS. EVER SINCE the tank has been spiraling out of control. My fish were doing great these past 2 days and the nitrate was decreasing slowly from 160 to 40 and now its BACK at 160.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec106 http:///forum/thread/383676/dangerous-nitrate-spark-again-please-help#post_3357483
Once again my nitrate level is at 160 ppm. My miniatus grouper is losing his color and laying on the ground like hes having a hard time breathing and my snowflake eel is having minor convulsions. I don't know what to do?!?! I have no quarantine tank available for them at the moment. And I don't understand what is causing this. EVERYTHING ELSE is normal, but the nitrates are through the roof. I cleaned the filter, wiped all the algae off the glass, and added the appropriate dosage of Amquel for a 30 gallon tank. I need help, and quick!! This all started last week when we got a new bucket of water form the LFS. EVER SINCE the tank has been spiraling out of control. My fish were doing great these past 2 days and the nitrate was decreasing slowly from 160 to 40 and now its BACK at 160.

Fish gasping..it sounds more like an ammonia spike. Nitrates really don't affect fish much, only coral and inverts. Fish can stand it way up there with no ill effects.
Do a water change..amquel is for ammonia not nitrates anyway. Change the water.
What are the results of the rest of your tests and what is the SG?

alec106

The water change is the reason everything went bad. The LFS we have been going to sold us a bad batch of water. The ammonia is at 0.25, the pH is at 8.2, Nitrite is at 0. And the amquel I bought treats ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, chlorine and chloramines.

meowzer

So have you gotten any new water? I think you really need to do a large water change asap.....and as previously said nitrates will not make your fish gasp....
can you tell us exactly how you did the water change? Did you stir anything up?

flower

Deep breath, I have to go to work...
Get some RO water from walmart and some sea salt and mix your own water for water changes, if you don't trust the water from the LFS.
Go to another fish store and get premixed water and test the SG to make sure it matches and change the water.
Changing the water is the only thing you can do to help. Removing all the pads on a filter at once removes the good bacteria and can cause an ammonia spike, which is what it sounds like. Do a water change.
If there was soap on you hands or something in the jug..anything sprayed around the tank..all will cause problems. If it is toxins try running carbon and change the water.

alec106

We went to the store got a 5 gallon bucket filled with 1/4 fresh water and 3/4 salt water (the salinity was off in the tank) and they said pour it in the tank slowly. That is what I did. And as far as cleaning the filter, I used a high power hose and got all the algae off of it.

alec106

Ps = I didn't use any soap what so ever. And I just checked on my grouper hes smashing his face in the live rock/sand aggresively, and my eel is not shaking anymore which is a good sign

spanko

No one else noticed..................."My miniatus grouper is losing his color and laying on the ground like hes having a hard time breathing and my snowflake eel is having minor convulsions............................for a 30 gallon tank."
Seems like a large bioload for a 30 gallon tank IMO. Don't know if the OP could do enough water changes to ever keep this tank stable.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/383676/dangerous-nitrate-spark-again-please-help#post_3357548
No one else noticed..................."My miniatus grouper is losing his color and laying on the ground like hes having a hard time breathing and my snowflake eel is having minor convulsions............................for a 30 gallon tank."
Seems like a large bioload for a 30 gallon tank IMO. Don't know if the OP could do enough water changes to ever keep this tank stable.

In my defense I am not familiar with those critters. The spotted grouper is a very small fish when first putrchased and I have seen those eels, and they are no bigger than a grass snake in the store.

S

smartorl

Both high bio-load producers. The miniatus just got over popeye. He also just purchased a panther grouper against advice.
I am not sure I am sold on the lfs selling bad water. I would not put anything in my tanks that I didn't test first. Were there nitrates or amonia in their water? Or was the sg off and caused a die off in your tank?
When you speak of your salinity being off and them making a mix, what was your specific gravity?
In this hobby, you are the ultimate one responsible to do your own research and know where you stand.
I didn't post on your other thread because I didn't want to appear rude. You posted asking for help but shot down alot of very useful advice. You were warned there and on your predator tank thread as well and you seemed to ignore the input and insist that you had the answers. Not being rude but your tank is crashing, you really need to listen.
I hope you will take a moment and embrace the advice being given as it is often based on personal experiences and tons of research. It could save you a lot of heartache and expense down the road. People are not being "critical" they are offering sound advice.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/383676/dangerous-nitrate-spark-again-please-help#post_3357548
YES HENRY....this has been "discussed" in his other thread.....He claims he is good at cleaning LOL
and also has his mind set that when his fish get too big ge will eat them

spanko

Hmmmmm.......................I wonder if as a group we need to be more "critical"?
On the chance of getting banned, I wonder if we would help more folks?

2quills

FWIW, some grouper are actually pretty yummy! It's not much different from raising cattle or swine to ultimately eat them.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/383676/dangerous-nitrate-spark-again-please-help#post_3357580
Hmmmmm.......................I wonder if as a group we need to be more "critical"?
On the chance of getting banned, I wonder if we would help more folks?

Well Henry,.....read thsi thread and tell me what you think.....a lot of people tried to help, and it was all taken as critiscism....IMO it was not...but it was also hard to determine seriousness also
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments

spanko

Well I think everyone was pretty controlled in their responses, not getting overly emotional and trying to present the facts as they know them.
I think AK has a good response and was a little tougher on him, and I agree with his approach.
Searching around for Alec106 shows him to be one of the younger of the crowd here and IMO always the harder to get to believe that experience is a real teacher and that a lot of the folks that have answered have some real experience. But I also understand the I am invincible and know more than you attitude, just something we have to live with for the most part on an open forum.
I guess cooler heads prevail.
However..........................