Darasa clam ?

florida joe

Originally Posted by teen
they dont see. its more along the lines of feeling or "sensing".
that is what is freaking me out my clam is at the front of my tank and when i walk over it closes up a little i swear it knows im there

jonthefishguy

Clams have mantles. The mantles have light receptors which detect even the faintest change in light, which includes shadows from the side. If you stand in front of the tank and you happen to create a shadow, the clam can detect it and close up as if it were spooked. Then a few seconds later, it will open up again.

florida joe

Originally Posted by NewBostonConst
Do you have fisk? Mine does it less now that I have fish.
no i dont have any fish in the tank yet

florida joe

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Clams have mantles. The mantles have light receptors which detect even the faintest change in light, which includes shadows from the side. If you stand in front of the tank and you happen to create a shadow, the clam can detect it and close up as if it were spooked. Then a few seconds later, it will open up again.
thanks friend good info

chris&barb

clams can see, they have organs called photo receptors all over there mantles. if i could post links here i would post a few great research papers that talk all about clams eyes and how they see

ninjamini

No they do not have eyes but they can sense changes in light. Think more if a fish swims over they want to close up. But they dont "see"

farslayer

Clams have photosensitive cells on their mantels as has been said; starfish have them on their legs. These are primitive eyes and are thought to have been a major contribution to the pre-Cambrian explosion (sighted predators, albeit not clams specifically).
Science is cool :)