Dear wife is going to give me nightmares over sand.

naclh2o nut

I have a very thin layer of CC. I have seen many tanks with a deep sand bed and I do not like the look of the nasty layer as the tank ages. However DW wants my to add sand to tank.
So since I have a 1/4" layer of CC is there a need to remove it? How does anyone keep the sand looking good for years?

salt life

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/2993716
I have a very thin layer of CC. I have seen many tanks with a deep sand bed and I do not like the look of the nasty layer as the tank ages. However DW wants my to add sand to tank.
So since I have a 1/4" layer of CC is there a need to remove it? How does anyone keep the sand looking good for years?
my 75g thats been up for over 3 years only has just under 2 inches of sand in there, it says clean with a variety of snails, and when you do your water changes siphon a section of your sand each time. my other 75g though is BB with a small later of sand in the center. How deep you wanna go if you do add the sand?

E

eric b 125

i suggest you remove the cc and add the sand in its place. i've heard of people putting sand on top of cc and eventually, the cc surfaces. i've never had a problem keeping my sand clean, i have a 1.5" sand bed. my snails and water flow keep it looking clean.

naclh2o nut

thanks, I am still debating on depth. Reading it does look like the shallow sand beds tend to stay better looking. So I am thinking about an 1" - 1.5".
On the CC, I am ok with it mixing up a little, I like the look and the ability for a stray zoa to attach to it. I have a RDE right now that is anchoring down and growing.

Has anyone added sand over CC? problems?