Debris' 10 Gallon

debris

So I did it. I went out and spent the money...and went to a local shop that seems to know what they are doing...(it's where my ex's grandpa goes for all of his stuff)
This is what I got:
10 gallon tank w/hood...I upgraded from the fluorescent bulb that was in it to a Coralife 50/50 18" 15watt.
I am just running the Aqueon Power Filter 10gal. that came with it, but am going to upgrade to one made for a 30 gal. tank.....
I have a Rio+ 69gallon per hour Powerhead.
Marineland 50 Watt 10gal heater...
About 15-16 pounds of live sand, and 7 pounds of live rock.
Oh and the water is premixed to 1.025...got it from the store at $0.99 a gallon.
Is any of this useless? In other words should I bring it back for something else?
Oh and, should I mod. the filter....take out the cartridge and put in LR rubble and chaeto??
Anyways...here are some nice cloudy pictures :D

Here you can see my powerhead:

And here you see my heater:

nissan577

really nice! seems amzing! are you sure you want it next to the stove? and yes take out the cartridge and replace it with chaeto and LR rubble with filter floss.

debris

It's going to get a stand...a black wood one, with cabinet underneath....it's just there for about a week or so...
Ps....we are microwave cookers :)
Thanks by the way...is that a good bulb? The guy recommended it, so I went with it...but I could always bring it back and switch it out....

nissan577

Originally Posted by Tang Master
http:///forum/post/3102594
i would get a 70w halide for it so then you can keep pretty much whatever you want.
in a 10g? i think it will heat the water. if she wants to keep anything she/he can have t5

tang master

yeah i agree t5 wrk great(have em on my 55g) but you just cant get the beatutiful shimmer like you do with hqi.lol. besides i dont know about everyone else but there is no heat issues on my tanks where i live.

nissan577

Originally Posted by Tang Master
http:///forum/post/3102606
yeah i agree t5 wrk great(have em on my 55g) but you just cant get the beatutiful shimmer like you do with hqi.lol. besides i dont know about everyone else but there is no heat issues on my tanks where i live.
everytank is different remember. my brother tank is a 29g with a 175w mh and his temp is at 82. and when i had my 29g biocube i also had a 175w mh and my temp was 78 and we had the same water and equipment and my tank always did better then his.

howardj

What is the name of the fish store?
I agree with everyone else, T5's are great. But if you have the money, I would buy a Viper 70 watt Metal Halide fixture.
That is from my experience with one of my 10 gallon tanks.
I looked at your profile (to see where in Indiana you are, I'm {stuck} here too);
Since you are only doing a 10 gallon, I strongly advise staying away from a bubble tip anemone, anemone will move, and do Much better in larger tanks.
Also, if you are doing clowns, you can only have 1 species of clownfish in your tank. (I said CAN, not SHOULD). If you get two different species of clownfish, they will fight, one or both will die.
On that note, Welcome to the hobby!
Have fun and take it slow, it will pay off.

debris

Originally Posted by chaseter
http:///forum/post/3102724
That scares me that it is right next to the stove

Lol...ya our stove isn't even hooked up...we remodeled recently (3 months ago lol) and haven't messed with it since...but if/when we do ook up the stove the tank will be moved:)
And to Howard in Indiana:
I went to Uncle Bills on East Washington St, Indianapolis...do you know anywhere better around here?
Oh and I read that about keeping different types of clowns, just forgot to update my profile...

howardj

And to Howard in Indiana:
I went to Uncle Bills on East Washington St, Indianapolis...do you know anywhere better around here?
Oh and I read that about keeping different types of clowns, just forgot to update my profile...
Indianapolis, you could check ouy Premium Aquatics.
I'm pretty sure there are a few Uncle Bill's scattered throughout Indy
Have you ever been to Aquarium World in Lafayette?

debris

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3102955
Looks good! Exact same tank I have. Not crazzy about the stock hood though.
Ha...just upgraded my lighting + lighting fixture...and got LR rubble and chaeto to mod the filter...pics later, I am on my blackberry right now...

katsafados

put another filter in also to help with the bio load. I just have a canister and a refugium at the back.